Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
This stuff is pretty awesome. I dig watch good fabrication, but your stuff is next level kind of stuff. Better than stock and all that. It looks not only like it came from the factory, but it looks like it was brought over from the higher end luxury production line. Nice detail. Keep posting this stuff up, I think I can say we all dig your threads and pics.

Wish you were in Kalifornistan.

:beer:

__

·
Registered
8,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
This stuff is pretty awesome. I dig watch good fabrication, but your stuff is next level kind of stuff. Better than stock and all that. It looks not only like it came from the factory, but it looks like it was brought over from the higher end luxury production line. Nice detail. Keep posting this stuff up, I think I can say we all dig your threads and pics.

Wish you were in Kalifornistan.

:beer:

__
Thanks, man. The Slingshot model with the radio was about $5k more from the dealer. For ~$7k with us he got much more than the factory would ever provide.

This Slingshot is head to Kalifornistan soon. The thing is getting a supercharger, new rear swingarm and tire, new front suspension arms, then heading to film an episode of Jay Leno's Garage.

The owner is also involved in a new show that will be on Discovery Channel called Toy Makers(z?). They've got a one year contract so, with any luck, some work through them will come my way. :)

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Thanks, man. The Slingshot model with the radio was about $5k more from the dealer. For ~$7k with us he got much more than the factory would ever provide.

This Slingshot is head to Kalifornistan soon. The thing is getting a supercharger, new rear swingarm and tire, new front suspension arms, then heading to film an episode of Jay Leno's Garage.

The owner is also involved in a new show that will be on Discovery Channel called Toy Makers(z?). They've got a one year contract so, with any luck, some work through them will come my way. :)

That would be cool to get the shop on a show and drive some new business.

I can't imagine how that thing will be able to maintain traction on a single rear drive tire with the HP being cranked up. I have to imagine that it can barely maintain traction with it being as light as it is already. Adding a bunch of horsepower is going to make that thing completely ridiculous...in a good way of course. :smokin:

__

·
Registered
8,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
That would be cool to get the shop on a show and drive some new business.

We'd be the shop that they'd call, find out the project is behind schedule, complain to the camera, then, in the next scene, be blown away when they take delivery. :laughing: I could use another installer.

I can't imagine how that thing will be able to maintain traction on a single rear drive tire with the HP being cranked up. I have to imagine that it can barely maintain traction with it being as light as it is already. Adding a bunch of horsepower is going to make that thing completely ridiculous...in a good way of course. :smokin:

__

These are odd vehicles. Registered, insured, and inspected as a motorcycle. In the state of Virginia, with the roll cage bolted to the chassis (as this one is fitted), you don't need to wear a helmet while driving the thing.

The single rear wheel...

Polaris fitted the thing with traction control. It has a TCS switch that shows two tire marks. :laughing: I told the client that Polaris missed an opportunity there, and that I'm sure there's a market for a proper switch.

The rear swingarm will be longer and be fitted with a wider, sticker tire that he said will absolutely stick. He said the stock rear tire will break loose with the stock 160hp (1,700lbs), but with the 400hp from the supercharger and the new rear setup it won't be traction that's the issue, but the rear drive belt. Said they're good to 300hp.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
These are odd vehicles. Registered, insured, and inspected as a motorcycle. In the state of Virginia, with the roll cage bolted to the chassis (as this one is fitted), you don't need to wear a helmet while driving the thing.

The single rear wheel...

Polaris fitted the thing with traction control. It has a TCS switch that shows two tire marks. :laughing: I told the client that Polaris missed an opportunity there, and that I'm sure there's a market for a proper switch.

The rear swingarm will be longer and be fitted with a wider, sticker tire that he said will absolutely stick. He said the stock rear tire will break loose with the stock 160hp (1,700lbs), but with the 400hp from the supercharger and the new rear setup it won't be traction that's the issue, but the rear drive belt. Said they're good to 300hp.
It's just like stretching out a Hayabusa. Stretch out the rear end, slap a huge tire on there (drag slick), and convert it to shaft drive. I figure something like this would work. Terrible in the corners, but great off the line... :D

__

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Your attention to the small details really makes for a seamless install and everything you have ever shown us always looks like it just grew there! Please don't stop sharing pics of the awesome work.

What do you use to laminate your PVC sheet?
This is a fantastic adhesive/filler for PVC and is the only product I have found that will bond acrylic to other materials.

http://www.trimbonder.com/UserFiles/File/AZEK_TB_Instr_Web.pdf

Skip the expensive nozzles, just squeeze some on a palate and mix with a knife. Like most epoxys it's spendy @ $25/tube but worth every penny when your time matters.

·
Registered
8,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Your attention to the small details really makes for a seamless install and everything you have ever shown us always looks like it just grew there! Please don't stop sharing pics of the awesome work.

What do you use to laminate your PVC sheet?
This is a fantastic adhesive/filler for PVC and is the only product I have found that will bond acrylic to other materials.

http://www.trimbonder.com/UserFiles/File/AZEK_TB_Instr_Web.pdf

Skip the expensive nozzles, just squeeze some on a palate and mix with a knife. Like most epoxys it's spendy @ $25/tube but worth every penny when your time matters.
Thanks, man.

As weird as it seems, I use CA (yeah, super glue) to bond the PVC sheet. I figured PVC glue would be the stuff to use but was told CA works great.

Was skeptical, tried it, and the material tore out before the bond broke. Actually, the bond didn't break, I just quit trying when the material gave way. :laughing:

Lots of info on Google about bonding PVC with CA.

·
Premium Member
10,667 Posts

The single rear wheel...

It's just like stretching out a Hayabusa. Stretch out the rear end, slap a huge tire on there (drag slick), and convert it to shaft drive. I figure something like this would work. Terrible in the corners, but great off the line... :D

__

Alpha Powersport has a LS3 in one.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts