Pirate 4x4 banner

High performance oil pan/pump

• Hell ya, build em, they sell like hot cakes

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • Hell NO, Were IH guys, were too dam cheap!

Votes: 13 61.9%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have started a new IH undertaking and was curious if there would be market for a it.

I have started to build a custom rear sump 6Qt oil pan with a brand new high volume/high pressure oil pump with external pressure adjustment. It will have off-road baffles to control oil in extreme angles and a built in windage tray.

Are there many IH guys that would be interested in an upgraded oil system?

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
jdjanda said:
Under 2 bills possible?
for you ,yes;) If your rig makes Cal Rocs :flipoff2:

The pan and pick up and the new Melling pump would be around 250 to 300.00. The external pressure adjustment will be a 25.00 option. The system will require a remote mount oil filter because the output if the pump will be an AN8 fitting on the side of the pan and the input will be a plate with only one fitting like this:

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rock Tractor said:
Build me a proto type and I'll test it:flipoff2: . Add two fittings to the oil pan so you can run a hose from each valve cover for better oil return.
But you run Jeep power?

·
Registered
339 Posts
It's a great idea but in reality I don't think you would sell many. Most guys doing high performance IH stuff have rats under the hood. For $300 you can get a whole SBC and still have beer money left.
On another note I would be glad to test one out in a comp (rock crawl)environment if you need. Plan on a couple here in Wash this year. I'll give it back to ya when done so you can put it under the knife.:)

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I would have gladly run it but you are a day late and a dollar short. Just decided to go with the Vortec 350 last week. I had lost two motors due to lack of oil pressure from extreme angles. I started researching the isea of an external oil sump system for the 345 but also for lack of fuel injection I got into this vortec pretty cheap. Just hope making the adapter will be just as economical. Keep up the good work, ,though. I still might get one just to keep running the 345 in an 800 RHD I'm building.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
As far as rats under the hood, I would have to disagree. If they do, its not because its an International. I've been doin pretty well with all my stock stuff till now. You run ANY motor at extreme angles and going to have problems. I could have done the fuel injection either with the chebby throttle boody or aftermarket. The IH motor have way more torque for picking up gears than any other and ample horsepower for turning tires. They do tend to weigh a bit more but well worth running even in competition.

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Hammerlock said:
Is there a single sump IH pan? If so just modify that and keep the price under $100.
First it's a front sump and the new pump is almost 50.00 and the other parts add 22.00, so add the 5-6 hours of labor in and................. I think I'm worth more than 6.40 and hour!:flipoff2:

This Milodon 4x4 pan is 300.00 and comes with no pump and no pick up! With pump and pick up it's 420.00!
A 100.00 yea right!:rolleyes:

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
uglyscout said:
Were too cheap ---
We will just lead you along like we are all interested in buying one, wait for you too drop all the cash on R&D and then steal your idea and tech and build it ourselves.... :D
I've seen your work, I don't think you have the skills! :flipoff2:

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Old Scout said:

I've seen your work, I don't think you have the skills! :flipoff2:
Your right :flipoff2: No way in hell my hack skills could pull it off. But I wouldn't even try --- :D I'm partial to just running it until it blows!

But I was speaking as the hypothetical "WE" and thier are alot of skilled guys here that CAN pull it off - and will steal your tech.

·
Registered
14,282 Posts
I'd post the idea to the BB. You've got a lot more IH purists over there, who also aren't going to attempt to build it themselves.

I betcha you could sell enough of them to make it worth it.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Old Scout said:

First it's a front sump and the new pump is almost 50.00 and the other parts add 22.00, so add the 5-6 hours of labor in and................. I think I'm worth more than 6.40 and hour!:flipoff2:

This Milodon 4x4 pan is 300.00 and comes with no pump and no pick up! With pump and pick up it's 420.00!
A 100.00 yea right!:rolleyes:
I'm thinking your business sense isn't on par with your fab skills. :p

Anyway why don't you just buy an oil accumulator? Less hassle and you can prelube.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
Sully said:
I'd post the idea to the BB. You've got a lot more IH purists over there, who also aren't going to attempt to build it themselves.

I betcha you could sell enough of them to make it worth it.
Remember a long while ago someone (never heard from again) said he was going to manufacture aluminum intakes? Put the question to the peanut gallery and they were willing to pay somewhat less than what the cheapest SBC aftermarket intake was going for at summit. Ill bet the same for this.

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ChiScouter said:
. Ill bet the same for this.
:rolleyes: I building one for myself, if you guys don't need one so what.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.