Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HAhA I didnt think I would have much use for this forum but alas!

i have an old set of alluminum wheels that would look a hell of alot better then my factory GM wheels and work better with my future tires. I just want to clean them up sense this is a DD and I do have to give females rides in this thing I want some bling bling. So what have you guy's used to polish up old alluminum?

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
these wheels are pretty tore up, I think they may need more then just a can of polish and elbow grease. They are 20+ year old alluminum mags (I actually got them because brandon from river city rock crawlers was looking for some for his jeep but I got them way later then expected) so any other sugestions?

·
Registered
643 Posts
Eastwood makes a kit that is excellant.

http://www.eastwoodco.com

The first part number is 13103, the second is 13107

This kit is alot of work but it will take old crappy wheels and make them look like new again. They say it takes 4 hours per wheel. If you wheels are pretty bad you can double that pretty easy. Come out looking like glass though. Well worth it if you have a unique style wheel ya wanna restore.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MattS said:
Go down to the big rig place and have em acid etched first and then polish em. I had a set does a few years back for $10. They do it to all their gas tanks to get the diesel spills off.
I figured you would have some input on this! Did you just have them dipped and then polish them with elbow grease and mothers/never dull?

·
Premium Member
25,804 Posts
NE-RokToy said:
I figured you would have some input on this! Did you just have them dipped and then polish them with elbow grease and mothers/never dull?
Down at the shop mounted on the workmate is a 8 inch buffer. The rouge is in the red tool chest bottom drawer. :flipoff2:

There are also 2 smaller buffing pads that attach to the air grinder.

I will warn you, it's not quick, easy or fun by any means. If they are pitted you will need 180 and 320 grit paper for the 6" DA sander to clean that up first.

If you want me to show you how to do it just ask. I did the supercharger for Tony's durango (pain in the ass rough cast) for the auto show and polish stuff for my drag racing buddies in trade for paint work all the time. Here's the durango:

·
Premium Member
35,608 Posts
I agree with sceep, there are many polishes that do a good job.

But, ELBOW GREASE (about an hours worth per rim) is what it really takes.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I used Polishing wheels on a dremel with some polishing wax, I then cleaned and clear coated my rims, they looked bad ass, This was on a VW bug that I had, I got a hold of some old Porsche rims that were all jacked up. That was 8 years ago, dam I feel old.:(

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
MattS said:

I will warn you, it's not quick, easy or fun by any means. If they are pitted you will need 180 and 320 grit paper for the 6" DA sander to clean that up first.

I figured this is what I'm gonna have to do, but my time is worth nothing to me so it sure as hell beats buying new wheels! I actually like these too however I think they are 15x10 (with 31 10.50's on them right now!)

·
Registered
903 Posts
MattS said:

Down at the shop mounted on the workmate is a 8 inch buffer. The rouge is in the red tool chest bottom drawer. :flipoff2:

There are also 2 smaller buffing pads that attach to the air grinder.

If you want me to show you how to do it just ask. I did the supercharger for Tony's durango (pain in the ass rough cast) for the auto show and polish stuff for my drag racing buddies in trade for paint work all the time. Here's the durango:

Did you clearcoat that supercharger when you were done?? I want to polish my mustang upper efi intake but dont want it to look like ass in a month...

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Heres what ya do man...

Get some coil cleaner.. The stuff A/C techs use to clean coils. Spray it on there and sit back and watch.. Let it sit for about 5 min or so and wash it off... May take more than one application.Then break out the polish and go to town.. That stuff is pretty harsh. I use it on my ATV motors when they get that mud stain scum on them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.