• Maybe

Votes: 5 10.2%
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rock Crawling Spec Series

Would there be any interest in running a spec series using the Rhino RTV 2FS? The class would be based on the Legend Car Series. All vehicles would be the same only allowing small changes. This would be a driver/spoter class.

Attachments

·
HOORAY BEER
1,356 Posts
Would you be allowed to build your self, or do you have to buy a turn key system from one supplier?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The plan is to have a turn key RTR. However would be interested in opinions.

·
Registered
9,839 Posts
I think the Rhino's have a place not only in the Rock crawling World, but the Off Road Racing World as well.

I hope to have some racing at our VORRA events sometime soon.

I will be getting a Rhino 2 seater for myself next year, if all ($$$) goes right.

Rich

·
Registered
9,839 Posts
I think the spec series for Rhino's will take off soon as more of the vehicles are delivered.

It's a go place for a weekend warrior to get their feet wet. Just like the F-Toys...

Look how ATV racing has grown

Rich

·
Registered
5,815 Posts
Already have a spec series, it's called Formula Toy :D :D

·
Registered
9,839 Posts
RE:Todd said:
Already have a spec series, it's called Formula Toy :D :D
Actually I guess we have more.... Mod stock seems to be all about Jeeps

Rich

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
I just came up with a plan to make alot of money! Start a spec racing series that requires you to buy a vehicle from one source and cannot be altered. And you make and sell the only approved vehicle. :shaking:

sorry, not my bag. But good luck. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
I think part of the success of FormulaToy stems from a proven design that has been refined over the years by many people experienced in the sport. They can be built by an entry level hobbyist with proven, commonly available factory and aftermarket parts for a very reasonable cost, and are fully capable of being a dual function trail/comp rig.

Frankly, I don't see any of that with the Rhinos.

Granted I have not driven one, but to be honest I question how much actual rock crawling experience the designers of the rhinos actually have. Personally, for the cost involved, I can build a competitive Modified rig. For those who couldn't build their own, they could buy a competitive second hand rig and run with the big boys for the same price.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
VegasJim said:
Would there be any interest in running a spec series using the Rhino RTV 2FS? The class would be based on the Legend Car Series. All vehicles would be the same only allowing small changes. This would be a driver/spoter class.
I think you are asking the wrong crowd. Most people that participate here will build thier own competition rig or slap something together for the trail.

I think you are looking far a new market - the guy that wants to compete but does not have the background, place, or time to build something. To be honest, I would try polling in the newby general 4x4 forum, Jeeps Unlimited, etc.

·
Premium Member
40,287 Posts
zags said:
I think part of the success of FormulaToy stems from a proven design that has been refined over the years by many people experienced in the sport.
I think the biggest thing is that you can get into one CHEAP, but because it's a spec class you can be competitive. The common denominator with spec class racing everywhere is "CHEAP".

TEX

·
I brought the beer
11,347 Posts
SuperRanger said:
I think you are asking the wrong crowd. Most people that participate here will build thier own competition rig or slap something together for the trail.

I think you are looking far a new market - the guy that wants to compete but does not have the background, place, or time to build something. To be honest, I would try polling in the newby general 4x4 forum, Jeeps Unlimited, etc.
That's really close to how I feel, but I'll go a step further.

I believe, unfortunately, that the Rhino class may be the spec class of the future. I say this because the Rhino guys have their marketing going at high speed and appeal to the guy who would get into this sport as a fad. The Ftoy class is my absolute favorite form of competion because of the fact that every one of those cars were hand built by there drivers and crew. If I had 50k, I could just buy my way into the Rhino race tomorrow.

Not slamming the Rhino guys, and I hope like hell that Ftoy continues to grow. I'm just calling it like I see it.

d

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
JeepRecoveryTeam said:
If I had 50k, I could just buy my way into the Rhino race tomorrow.
d
The Rhino is not 50K. The compitition rock version goes for under 30K, turn key. The idea is to attract the newbe that doesn't have the time to build a vehicle, but wants to compete. Not everyone has the equipment or expertice to build a rig. Mainly they don't have the time. The other advantage is that the Rhino RTV can also be used for weekend trail use, desert, sand, ect. It's not just a rock crawler.

Like Big Rich explained, one weekend rock crawling, the next desert racing with the same vehicle. The main plan is to attract new people into the sport without overwelming them with a 70k buggy. Read the new dirt sport mag.

·
I brought the beer
11,347 Posts
VegasJim said:
The Rhino is not 50K. The compitition rock version goes for under 30K, turn key. The idea is to attract the newbe that doesn't have the time to build a vehicle, but wants to compete. Not everyone has the equipment or expertice to build a rig. Mainly they don't have the time. The other advantage is that the Rhino RTV can also be used for weekend trail use, desert, sand, ect. It's not just a rock crawler.

Like Big Rich explained, one weekend rock crawling, the next desert racing with the same vehicle. The main plan is to attract new people into the sport without overwelming them with a 70k buggy. Read the new dirt sport mag.
I'm not slamming your vehicle man. Fact is you asked about a spec class like it is something new. The Ftoys are in their second full season. And looking at the 2 seater Rhino... I find it extremely hard to believe you are going desert racing in that. Air shocks and speed will make that thing taller than it already is. Don't get me wrong, they are cool rigs. I think they are a great alternative for someone with deep pockets and no skills/resources to build their own. But it's not like they are second coming or something.

And I just reread your original post. The Legend car series is based upon the premise of running a vehicle that STRONGLY resembles a production vehicle. Are you planning on running skins? If I remember correctly, when these fist debuted, you could buy full truck skins for them.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
JeepRecoveryTeam said:
And I just reread your original post. The Legend car series is based upon the premise of running a vehicle that STRONGLY resembles a production vehicle. Are you planning on running skins? If I remember correctly, when these fist debuted, you could buy full truck skins for them.
Not saying you were slaming the Rhino. Just trying to give some more insight to what we are thinking. Both UROC and WERock have expressed interest as a way to attract new comers.

We are looking into some sort of fiberglass panels. It doesn't have to look like anything. Anything is possible.

·
Registered
96 Posts
We are looking into some sort of fiberglass panels. It doesn't have to look like anything. Anything is possible.[/QUOTE]

But the Legends class has to look like something. If you call it a jeep it has to look like a jeep. I do not have 30k in the buggy I drive.

·
pro web-wheeler
21,639 Posts
I think there is a place for a Rhino class but as I have stated before, it is more of a "fun" class where amateurs can enjoy a day of competition in a buggy built turnkey and supplied with a warranty, then the next day head to pismo.. The kind of people you will find here on Pirate are MOSTLY not those that would be interested. Like others have mentioned, Jeeps Unlimited is the kind of crowd that would get the competitive fever for this kind of thing...the people here would just build their own and compete in one of the other classes.

·
HOORAY BEER
1,356 Posts
VegasJim said:
Both UROC and WERock have expressed interest as a way to attract new comers.
How about less stringent rules, lower entry fees, easier courses, more classes.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts