Pirate 4x4 banner

What lug pattern do you think is most popular...where the future is heading?

• Standard Eight Lug

Votes: 76 50.0%
  • Popular 5 on 5.5

Votes: 27 17.8%
  • chevy/toyota 6 lug

Votes: 46 30.3%
  • other...please explain below

Votes: 3 2.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to gather information about a possible lug conversion from the existing Volvo Portal 8 on 8.75 lug pattern. What should we convert it to?

I know a lot of you run 5 on 5.5...I think I am leaning towards standard 8 lug. Considering we still need room to mount the calipers, I think the smallest rim size we can run is a 16" Most of the tire sizes are leaning towards 17" rims...

...So, what lug pattern should we make???

Here is a picture of the current disk brake set up for these...no lug conversion.

Oh, the lug conversion might add an inch of width to each side.

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
someone once told me sooner or later if you stick with wheeling you will go eight lug. here i am with eight lug. so i vote for 8 lug. but for the bingedy bing wheels 6 lug.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chris...I have to admit...Natty Ice Light...is where it's at. Enought of the watered down Silver Sodas!

·
Registered
810 Posts
I prefer as many 3/4 inch lug studs in any pattern over 8 inches. Thats why I have rockwells. and later U-1300 outers on a nine inch center.

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
Well I'm running 8 lug because I want the larger 3/4 ton brakes. Otherwise I don't think it matters much. The 8 lug stuff is a bit more expensive and harder to find. Wheels are harder to find too.

In your case, 8 lug will probably be a little better for the monster meats you'll have to run.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
I voted for 8 lug... But you might want to consider what wheels guys have now that might be in the market for this axle in the future. Guys already running 8 lug axles might be content to keep their 60 and 14's -- but guys with smaller stuff steping up and running 5 and 6 lugs might be your larger target audience....

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
I say standard eight lug cause it covers all makes of vehicles(or just about) so you open yourself to more options in that sense...and like what was said earlier if you are serious enough about crawling you will prolly end up with eight lug eventually:D:p

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
BIG 6, ROCKWELL BABY!!!

·
Registered
363 Posts
rfrey said:
...So, what lug pattern should we make???
What about Hummer rims with centers drilled to match? Would this be more cost effective than a conversion kit? If not, my vote is for the standard 8 lug.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the centers I have are bad ass...I admit. Sure we can get them all re drilled, but it limits the wheel selection.

Additionally, and most importantly. This wheel spacer would not only allow for a lug conversion, but DISK BRAKES. This would kill two birds with one stone! Why pay $100+ per wheel to have them redone, when for only a few dollars more (maybe...we have to find somebody that will machine them cheap) you can use your existing wheel, or a popular wheel out there, and all you have to do is go to the junk yard, pick up a rotar and caliper.

I don't know about you guys, but for every penny I save I feel like I have earned five. I have to save money. There are too many other things I want to get! Same with you guys I am sure.

I had no idea that may people wanted 6 lug!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
********My Next Question**********

Where would a guy get eight lug rotors and calipers....CHEAP?

I need to toss a package together that would be affordable!

Please help.

Also, what year, and model should I be looking for?

·
Premium Member
3,592 Posts
I say 8 lug. Lots of strength. Also, if you have a missing nut for some reason (lost it changine tires or whatever) you lose alot less strength than you would with a smaller number. Of course, 10 lug is better yet, but they don't make too many rims that'll fit. :) :) :)
~John

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I was told that JP offroad was converting the Volvo axles to a 5 lug pattern. Not sure if this is true, but that would allow you to run any wheel you want plus disks.

Probably want $$$....

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yea, that is kind of why I was doing the poll....

I think Dave at JP is heading that up.

The lug conversion would only alow for a different lug pattern, not to allow for disk brakes....I could be wrong on that one though!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Personally, I have no interest in anything that has less than 6 lugs for these axles. The volvo lugs are huge anyways, stepping down seems pointless.

Your Cruiser came stock with 6 lugs, why would you want less?

Did you ask about the 5:1 gear sets? Someone said they were trying to jam a ford 9" carrier into the volvo housing.... :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
rfrey said:
********My Next Question**********

Where would a guy get eight lug rotors and calipers....CHEAP?

I need to toss a package together that would be affordable!

Please help.

Also, what year, and model should I be looking for?
If you already have those disk breaks, why dont you just get some custom made wheel adapters?

Garrett

1 - 20 of 44 Posts