Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few issues ago 4wheeler or offroad (the mag's) had a wicked buggie in there with a polycarbon "formed" skid pan. I was thinking of making a skid plate for my zuki with a 1/2" poly sheet with some sort of "light" steel reinforced sub frame. I basicly just want to give it a bit of protection from logs and smaller watermellon sizedrocks in sand and mud, with out having to make a heavy ass 1/4" steel skid. Im not much of a rock crawler but I love leaving my tracks overtop and past the massive ruts on steep embankments around here. Have any of you guys seen or made anything like this?

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I was thinking myself more in terms of a heavy 1/4 plate with replaceble sheet of polyurithane for the: smooth glide factor :D

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
I am going to try a 1/2" plastic skid. Scott got me a large piece of an old cutting board so it's a free experiment. Haven't thought a lot about mounting it yet. I was thinking I would weld a steel plate to the front crossmember, flush with the bottom, then install the skid above the steel plate so the leading edge is steel. Then I figured a rail of some sort above the skid on each side running to the back so it can't move upward. Lastly along the back end it gets fastened, not sure how yet.....

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found some UHMW Polyethylene .5"X36"x36", High Impact, 6300psi tensile strenght, with a shore:D 62-69 for $86 bucks at McMaster I was thinking of using.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Azrckcrawler said:
I am going to try a 1/2" plastic skid. Scott got me a large piece of an old cutting board so it's a free experiment. Haven't thought a lot about mounting it yet. I was thinking I would weld a steel plate to the front crossmember, flush with the bottom, then install the skid above the steel plate so the leading edge is steel. Then I figured a rail of some sort above the skid on each side running to the back so it can't move upward. Lastly along the back end it gets fastened, not sure how yet.....
It's like you spelled out my thougths.
Hor the rear I would make something similar to the front, flush (extra X member?)...

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
MudKick said:
It's like you spelled out my thougths.
Hor the rear I would make something similar to the front, flush (extra X member?)...

I thought about similiar to the front but you have to be able to get the skid plate in, so maybe a smaller lip. For fastening how about a bar that runs across the back and sandwiches the skid between the bottom lip and the bar? That would keep the fasteners above the skid, just have to keep them accesible for removal.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Jet boats that run in rivers use a poly sheet on the bottom for gliding over rocks, check into how they mount them and what they use.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Cool and when you roll you can have a salad for lunch :p
But the riverboats were exactly where I got this idea originally few years back, then it evolved into the used cutting boards from the wife's kitchen concept.
Pretty low on ye ol' bling factor.
Perfect!
AZ, how about a sliding sestem.
You would slide the cutting board into an angle iron sliders that run along the frame and secure the perpendicular end with a removable triangular bar for easy glide over rocks...

·
Registered
863 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Crab Bait said:
BTW, I do beleive that a heat gun can be used to turn up the ends
Yea, I was going to use a gun and a break. I'll post some picks of my desighn tomorrow after I get some numbers. I think I'll cover my rails too wile I'm at it. I didn't even think of that.

·
Registered
613 Posts
on 1/2 thick good luck doing a diecent job of bending it at work we usually table saw it thinner at the bendpoint. if it has to stay at full thickness we would have to adjust the strip former and heat it for along time most pieces heat time is 3 to 4 minutes this is on a machine that heats evenly along a strip and keeps the materal along the strip cool.I would guess that the bend strip would hasve to be about 1 1/2 wide we would heat it for 10 min on the first side then flip it and heat for another 5 to 10 on the other. This should give you an idea of what the bender are like ours is a lot nicer but works on the same principals. http://home.earthlink.net/~rushd45/Plastic_Bender.html

1 - 12 of 12 Posts