Pirate 4x4 banner

121 - 140 of 171 Posts

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
41,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #122 (Edited)
Ran the the TJ all over hell and back at KOH as a chase vehicle. The new suspension is much more stable when prerunning than the old setup. It was hard to do a straight comparison as I was carrying so many spares (front axles 1 long with stub, 2 short with stub, rear axle, hub, spindle, F&R driveshafts, ice chest tools, recovery gear, co2 tank, impact, fire extinguishers, table, chair, etc) thus the rear spring rate and damping seemed a bit light but I was able to cruise 50-60 (according to the GPS) from pit to pit without working the Jeep too hard. The new exhaust fell apart as the muffler should have been welded and not just clamped to the pipe. This caused us to slow as the muffler was unsupported except for where it was clamped to the cat.

Time to fix the lighter wiring that died pushing the race radio and gps and fix the exhaust before tds. Oh and give that pig a bath. The interior is still dirty from thanksgiving.

I'll try to put up some pics of the new setup in the next day or so.

·
Rolling Mod
41,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
A few more pics of the rear suspension since I posted them in another thread.

The rear link mount/truss is a prototype, however it does fit Dana 44 and 60, Ford 8.8 and 9" and probably damn near anything else too.

·
Rolling Mod
41,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
It does fine. The only things that hold it back are being full bodied and my desire to not drive a crushed aluminum can around. I run the Rubicon and Dusy most years and it does fine, and it goes where I want in Moab. Not the most extreme Jeep, but nice for a Jeep that doesn't get a second look on the street.

Pig and Goat1 have taken it it out without me. They may have some insights as to its strengths and weaknesses.

·
Rolling Mod
41,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
I did something different with the jeep yesterday. I drove it. Played in Gorman than drove to Ventura and drove the coast route home. Forgot how much I like that thing.

Steering has some issues that I need to address, otherwise it is working well.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I know you are running air bumps now, but I'm curious how the bottoming out was with the stock tj bumpstops on it? I think I read you also added a jounce bumper to the coilovers, were you using those in combination with the stock tj bumpstops?

I dig this rig, poly makes great a one stop shop for a sweet tj. :grinpimp:

·
Nose to grindstone
8,178 Posts
I would love to see you guys offer complete kits!

·
Rolling Mod
41,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
I know you are running air bumps now, but I'm curious how the bottoming out was with the stock tj bumpstops on it? I think I read you also added a jounce bumper to the coilovers, were you using those in combination with the stock tj bumpstops?

I dig this rig, poly makes great a one stop shop for a sweet tj. :grinpimp:
It worked well with the stock bumpstops on it. By themselves it was a touch soft for the fast stuff. Adding the shock bumpstops made all the difference.

There are a few issues with my setup that need to be resolved, but for the most part there is little difference in the performance of the Jeep with airbumps as opposed to when I was running the stock bumpstops and the on shock jounce bumpers. For 90% of the people out there the on the shaft bumps are all you would need.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
It worked well with the stock bumpstops on it. By themselves it was a touch soft for the fast stuff. Adding the shock bumpstops made all the difference.

There are a few issues with my setup that need to be resolved, but for the most part there is little difference in the performance of the Jeep with airbumps as opposed to when I was running the stock bumpstops and the on shock jounce bumpers. For 90% of the people out there the on the shaft bumps are all you would need.
Good to know. Actually I was asking because I was thinking about using some stock xj bumps, or some combo of jounce bumpers plus progressive polyurathane bumpstops on my linked coil sprung tacoma.

·
Rolling Mod
41,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
Good to know. Actually I was asking because I was thinking about using some stock xj bumps, or some combo of jounce bumpers plus progressive polyurathane bumpstops on my linked coil sprung tacoma.
Get the microcellular foam bumpers (Basf) and not cast urethane (energy/daytstar) The performance difference is large.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Get the microcellular foam bumpers (Basf) and not cast urethane (energy/daytstar) The performance difference is large.

Thanks for the tip. That's pretty much what I figured after doing some searching on the topic, I figured I'd ask though. :)

·
Rolling Mod
41,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
No they are not. Same material, little bit better geometry to make them more preogressive. They are molded with the center hole. You can drill out a TJ bumpstop, but they are fairly soft. Especially once the dingus in the middle is removed.

·
Rolling Mod
41,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #137

·
Rolling Mod
41,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
Some pics of my home brew exhaust system.

Attachments

121 - 140 of 171 Posts