Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, yes I know that PIPE is not designed for structural applications. Let's get that one out of the way.

However, I just had to ask the genius's at Pirate for their knowledge (not their opinions :flipoff2:) on the subject.

I have some 3" OD by 2 1/2" ID pipe that would be ideal for my rear driveshaft. I have a lathe so that I can size the spline insert and u-joint insert for the tubing. The shaft would be going into my buggy build that has a Vortec 8.1, turbo 400 to stak 3 speed. From there it's to the obligitory 2 1/2 ton rocks with 47" goodyears. Will this work or do I need to source some DOM? Would this be better off as a stand in shaft so that I can start on building the floor and as a backup shaft for the backwoods?

Thanks,

OMalley

·
Registered
746 Posts
Pipe can be used and is used in structural applications.

That said, I would not use it in a driveshaft. It is not as uniform as DOM, the DOM used in driveshafts has a higher carbon content and is stronger. Why not drop by your local driveshaft shop and get a piece?

ASTM A-53 ERW Pipe Type S & E Grade “B”
Yield = 35Ksi, Tensile = 60Ksi.

A513 (alloy 1020-1026) Steel
This alloy is generally used for DOM tubing. Its higher carbon content means higher strength, but lower weldability and machinability.

ASTM A513 alloys 1020 - 1026 Mild (low-carbon) steel
Minimum Properties Ultimate Tensile Strength, psi 87,000
Yield Strength, psi 72,000
Elongation 10.0%
Rockwell Hardness B89
Chemistry Iron (Fe) 99.08 - 99.53%
Carbon © 0.18 - 0.23%
Manganese (Mn) 0.3 - 0.6%
Phosphorus (P) 0.04% max
Sulfur (S) 0.05% max

I beleive you would twist up the Schedule 40 if you used it even if it was the stronger Grade B.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm using schedule 80 heavy wall for my rear shaft. But, I'm only using it cause I couldn't find yokes for my application in a normal size. If I had the choice and had access to a lathe I would go for the DOM.
With your power(8.1L) I would want all the strength I could get.

·
Premium Member
810 Posts
i have built a few using poop pipe but only for front drive shafts. they seem too hold up pretty well. probably wouldn't use it for a rear.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why not drop by your local driveshaft shop and get a piece? [/QUOTE said:
Could do that, but after the fawking I got from him on a replacement U-Joint for my rockwell axles ($140.00 :eek:), no thanks!

What vendors on Pirate build driveshafts and why should I buy from them?

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
9,986 Posts
I have some 3" OD by 2 1/2" ID pipe that would be ideal for my rear driveshaft.

Thanks,

OMalley
Could do that, but after the fawking I got from him on a replacement U-Joint for my rockwell axles ($140.00 :eek:), no thanks!

What vendors on Pirate build driveshafts and why should I buy from them?
3" .250 wall would be super beefy, maybe even severe overkill. Balancing might be a problem.
Why don't you put that red star to good use?
There are several driveshaft vendors on here, the first that comes to mind is Jesse high angle driveline (user: onetoncv) http://highangledriveline.com

He's expensive but...you get what you pay for!

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
ive been running that same pipe for over a year in my rig
it has ground alot of rocks away and is still straight

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
yup jess @ highangle is the man. i just got a set of 3" .250 wall for my cherokee on rockwells and they have already taken a beating and not even phased them.

its pricey but well worth it. my only gripe was he didnt send any stickers w/ the shafts. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SBChero, are you running 1410's? Were you able to get away with a standard shaft versus a CV? How much? PM if you don't want to post.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Rick,

Thanks for heads up and the write up is pretty cool too.

Might as well try it out. BTW, what did you do for ballancing?

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:laughing:Yup, And them Toys put out as much torque as his Vortec 8.1
In Rick's defense, he is talking 2 1/2" sch40, I am talking about 3" schedule 80. Will it work?? Probably. Will it be something that I carry into the backwoods as my primary? doubtful unless I hear something more conclusive than toyota's run them without issue. :D

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
In Rick's defense, he is talking 2 1/2" sch40, I am talking about 3" schedule 80. Will it work??
Are you really? 2-1/2" pipe = 2.875" OD. 3" pipe will be close to 3.5" OD..

I have a 2-1/2" sch 40 rear shaft in my truck (4 cyl toy, 38.5s, dual t-cases, etc). Its 48" from flange/flange, so I was worried about it bending. I've had the truck sitting on the shaft on rock, with the back tires off the ground, so far, so good (drove out of that with the front....).. its barber poled, but still straight.

For balancing, just be real careful when assembling.

Look at rick's method, or something similar. I did mine in the truck itself, put it in there, spin the shaft and check runout. If you don't have a gage, then use a piece of chalk. With the shaft tacked but not welded, Slowly advance the chalk as it spins until you hit the high point. Hit the chalk mark with a hammer. repeat until you've got it straight.

I put 1/2 cup of ATf fluid it there as well. Have no idea if it helped, but hasn't hurt. I run mine at 60 mph with good results.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Are you really? 2-1/2" pipe = 2.875" OD. 3" pipe will be close to 3.5" OD..
My mistake!! Here I am asking about pipe and keep thinking DOM when I measured it.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Pipe can be used and is used in structural applications.

That said, I would not use it in a driveshaft. It is not as uniform as DOM, the DOM used in driveshafts has a higher carbon content and is stronger. Why not drop by your local driveshaft shop and get a piece?

ASTM A-53 ERW Pipe Type S & E Grade “B”
Yield = 35Ksi, Tensile = 60Ksi.

A513 (alloy 1020-1026) Steel
This alloy is generally used for DOM tubing. Its higher carbon content means higher strength, but lower weldability and machinability.

ASTM A513 alloys 1020 - 1026 Mild (low-carbon) steel
Minimum Properties Ultimate Tensile Strength, psi 87,000
Yield Strength, psi 72,000
Elongation 10.0%
Rockwell Hardness B89
Chemistry Iron (Fe) 99.08 - 99.53%
Carbon © 0.18 - 0.23%
Manganese (Mn) 0.3 - 0.6%
Phosphorus (P) 0.04% max
Sulfur (S) 0.05% max

I beleive you would twist up the Schedule 40 if you used it even if it was the stronger Grade B.
It'll work just fine if that's what you got.. Run it.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I know of two rigs that successfully run sch 80 for driveshafts, and yes it does require a little machine work.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Im running .250 pipe on my front shaft..Its held up well and i've rubbed it on rocks a lot..

Tell if im wrong but id rather have a thin walled tube out back..If you lean on it hard it would hold up but 1/4" wall stuff against a boulder and the weight of the truck sounds like it would break output shafts or tail housings....

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
:laughing:Yup, And them Toys put out as much torque as his Vortec 8.1
They do when you multiply it by their 800 billion:1 crawl ratio

·
Registered
14,847 Posts
heres someone who already did it

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
SBChero, are you running 1410's? Were you able to get away with a standard shaft versus a CV? How much? PM if you don't want to post.
yup, 1410 all around. no cv needed w/ the rockwells. just standard slip also.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts