Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a histeer kit for my toyota pickup from sky manufacturing, maybe some 7 months ago. It has been on the truck only during the winter, and the truck has been mostly parked. Already the rubber boots on all the rod ends are busted, and there is already some slack in the steering. The rod ends themselves are covered with light surface rust, which I don't understand because up here in Norway it's very dry and nothing ever rusts, like my pile of metal leftovers from fabrication only has tiny tiny specks of surface rust that you can brush of with your hand.

Will original toyota FJ80 ends make the steering all good again? With all the ends having busted rubber grommets my guess is that if I start using the truck it will get worse.

And the funny thing is I have little lift about a 2" suspension lift and both the tie rod and drag link are parallell to a few degrees, putting very little stress on the rubber stuff.

·
Registered
9,898 Posts
Did you call Sky and talk to them? Should at least give them a call and see if they will help you.

·
Registered
395 Posts
my TG tres were all cracked up to shit after 6 months of sitting. i thought it was common, but i see some tre's have lifetime warrentys

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's such a big hassle with my geografic location, plus they sold me a great kit at a great price. I just want to know if toyota parts is of better quality and if they are then I guess I'll go to the local dealer and order 4, or maybe buy from marlin crawler as their site states that the rod ends they carry are original parts.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my TG tres were all cracked up to shit after 6 months of sitting. i thought it was common, but i see some tre's have lifetime warrentys

And as far as I know TG also uses aftermarket TRE's?
Have you seen anyone with the marlin crawler ones? or original ones?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
In my experience the Toy ones will last longer. I have run TG,allpro and MC TREs and I got the most life out of the stockers. The TGs on my father's rig seem to last about 6 months before the boots split and they get loose. My old allpro TREs lasted 5 years.

·
Premium Member
3,238 Posts
What about just getting some stock boots from another tierod end? Will the boots from an early model tierod end work (like a 79-85)?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Try to get circle-555 tie rod ends from your local parts stores. circle-555 are same as genuine Toyota. As long as the box says "Made in Japan" you're good to go. Otherwise, hit up your Toyota dealership.

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
And as far as I know TG also uses aftermarket TRE's?
Have you seen anyone with the marlin crawler ones? or original ones?
I had Marlins sitting, never drivin on crack too, same with my 5month old TGs, though it's been driven.

Find a place that sells boots & lets us know I need some:flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
I too had that same issue with the rust and crackin of the boots on my hysteer kit from Sky. They also seemed weak and sloppy so i said fawk it and just went with GM 1ton rod ends and 1.5" .250 DOM and made my own. They worked great and will be plenty strong.

·
Premium Member
13,751 Posts
I had Marlins sitting, never drivin on crack too, same with my 5month old TGs, though it's been driven.

Find a place that sells boots & lets us know I need some:flipoff2:

Prothane or energy suspension should sell urathane boots. :smokin:

It cracks me up when someone (not you seabass) says stock ends last longer than Marlin ends.... Uhh Marlin ends ARE factory ends.. How can the "stockers" be better? :p

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
Try to get circle-555 tie rod ends from your local parts stores. circle-555 are same as genuine Toyota. As long as the box says "Made in Japan" you're good to go. Otherwise, hit up your Toyota dealership.

x2 triple 5's only way to go.

My Marlin ones where beat up in no time. Triple 5's seem to be holding up a lot better.

The shop that sposnsors me Big Country Customs, swears by the triple5's

·
Registered
1,270 Posts

It cracks me up when someone (not you seabass) says stock ends last longer than Marlin ends.... Uhh Marlin ends ARE factory ends.. How can the "stockers" be better? :p

the marlin ends i have are not the same as the stockers. I have had both side by side in the last 6 months.

·
Premium Member
13,751 Posts
the marlin ends i have are not the same as the stockers. I have had both side by side in the last 6 months.

The ones that came with my buddies Hi steer kit were factory 555 ends.... :confused:

·
Registered
34,267 Posts

you got an ol-line source?
we don't even have a napa here:shaking:

·
Premium Member
13,751 Posts
Fawking prothane site sucks....

Go to prothane.com, click product guide then tierod boots. They list them by size to make it a bit simpler.

Energy suspension lists them for yota trucks and fj-60's and they are all the same size and if I had to guess I'd say fj-80's have the same boots...

http://www.energysuspension.com/pages/toyt1.html

·
Registered
671 Posts
my tg ends are stamped 555 and they are one year old and all cracked up. one of them is getting a wee bit sloppy. i DD my truck so they do have some miles on them.

·
Premium Member
6,861 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
I've been wondering about this for a while now. Mine are TG's too. I have had them on the truck for about a year or so with maybe 10 street miles and one run on them. The ends are still good, but the boots are cracking bad.

Someone please list a good replacement boot!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts