Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to make a poorboy steering setup for my gayass D30. What I want I can't afford so here's what I have an idea for so far. Dodge TRE's attached to tubing either threaded by tapping or an insert. Now the bitch is do I keep the way its set up now and just run tubing and ream the knuckles? Or do I just build up the draglink as its the only one I keep bending(chromoly tierod)? Or do I drill the knuckles out and run a over and under setup attached by hiems? Or try and come as close to what I really want which is this here? Remember its all about poorboy right now my kids need new bikes and they gotta come first so any help or tips would be appreciated. Here's the pic

Attachments

·
Registered
10,513 Posts
I was gonna say DUDE THATS ROBERT'S Jeep right? Now I know the answer, I thought it looked familiar:D

·
Registered
41 Posts
For what its worth, a YJ steering linkage will fit. Thats what I currently run in mine.

Then you can easily make a new draglink, which you're gonna need cause the YJ drag link tie rod end doesnt allow enough angle for a good amount of lift on an XJ.

Get some apropriate sized tubing, tap one end 7/8-18 for a Blazer tie rod end (drag link ) and tap the other end 3/4 fine and install a ES150 tie rod end.

The YJ tie rod is fairly strong, and like you said, its the drag link you keep messing up.

Then you'll have close to what you really want right?

·
Registered
6,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll be more specific what I'm really trying to figure out is these questions too. Whether or not to use the current design and beef the draglink? By this I mean 3/4 of the way to the passenger side knuckle the tierod connects to the draglink? Or to run both the tierod and the draglink to the knuckle connecting there? I'd love to copy the design above and was trying to hear pros and cons of either while factoring the poorboy part into the equation. Like for instance I've heard of drilling the knuckles and attaching the tierod and draglink over and under with a bolt and hiem ends. Hiems tend to up the cost pretty quick so I'm thinking something else. Of course ghetto highsteer is always a big plus but is it achievable on poorboy budget without bootifab. Steve actually has most of the stuff I need to make the shit I'm worried more about where I attach the two. Anyone? BTW Whether I eliminate the steering stabilizer I don't care.

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
moveaside said:
BTW the steering setup above was purchased from SteveN at Specialty Parts give him a call if you can want it I have no money for it right now. 800-504-JEEP
Brandon
Maybe Steve N can do a PIRATE GIVEAWAY and you enter and might win!:D

·
Registered
6,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SeaBass44 said:
Maybe Steve N can do a PIRATE GIVEAWAY and you enter and might win!:D
Nah I owe the guy too many favors as it is. Maybe Steve will carry kick ass shit that doesn't break and sell them seeing as how times are real tough right now. Seriously can anyone tell me which setup is more likely not to break the knuckle. I was thinking today of not going too beefy on the TRE's so they'll break before the knuckle does. Yet strong enough to handle most situations.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts