Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Standard issue D60 detroit, 35-spline.

Hmm, so that's what that noise was...

Found all the teeth swimming in the bottom of the diff.

And the drive gear, a little chewed:

So I believe the two clutch gears are bought as a set, obviously I need those. Here's the cross:

This is the worst spot on it.

There's only one or two teeth that are a little rough like that. For people that have serviced these things before, can I clean this up with a file and throw it back in, or do I need to get a new cross assembly as well? Everything else on it is fine, the holes in the case aren't wallowed out at all and the 4 trunions show no wear at all (it's only been in there since April).

Buying just the side gears is economical; buying the side gears and the cross begins to approach the cost of a whole new one.

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
who are you dealing with for parts?
I have a d44 that just popped but havent opened it yet

·
Premium Member
11,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
who are you dealing with for parts?
I have a d44 that just popped but havent opened it yet
Haven't gotten that far yet, I'll post back once I figure something out.

·
Banned
158 Posts
Get the 2 side gears and smoothen the cross as needed, you should be OK.

·
Registered
750 Posts
What were you doing to cause it to blow up? Was it ratcheting well during differentiation before it blew up? Is this situation rare, or is it common? I have always thought that Detroits were pretty much bomb proof. Did you break anything else?

·
Banned
7,672 Posts
Junk the whole thing.

Wow I'm glad I have a lockright. three years and going strong with over 300 HP and 40" tires, including an axleshaft failure.

i've lost a lot of confidence in detroit lockers over the last few years. I told myself the lockright was temporary, but I'm never going to switch to a detroit after what I've seen here the last two years or so.

·
Premium Member
5,518 Posts
Standard issue D60 detroit, 35-spline.

Hmm, so that's what that noise was...

Found all the teeth swimming in the bottom of the diff.

And the drive gear, a little chewed:

So I believe the two clutch gears are bought as a set, obviously I need those. Here's the cross:

This is the worst spot on it.

There's only one or two teeth that are a little rough like that. For people that have serviced these things before, can I clean this up with a file and throw it back in, or do I need to get a new cross assembly as well? Everything else on it is fine, the holes in the case aren't wallowed out at all and the 4 trunions show no wear at all (it's only been in there since April).

Buying just the side gears is economical; buying the side gears and the cross begins to approach the cost of a whole new one.
Wow nice carnage. :grinpimp:

·
Mr. DJ
20,846 Posts
Junk the whole thing.

Wow I'm glad I have a lockright. three years and going strong with over 300 HP and 40" tires, including an axleshaft failure.

i've lost a lot of confidence in detroit lockers over the last few years. I told myself the lockright was temporary, but I'm never going to switch to a detroit after what I've seen here the last two years or so.
Don't you think this might have more to do with 52 inch tires and 500 hp buggys , than do to poor craftmanship?

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
wiggamoe said:
I have always thought that Detroits were pretty much bomb proof.
Pretty common failure. I blew mine to hell when a hub let go and I was not even on the gas. It smashed/deformed 1 spring, disintegrated 1 clutch and broke 2 teeth off the cross as well as scoring the case. Called around for parts and a few places had the clutches but no one had the cross, it is made in Ireland or something like that and would have taken at least a month to get. I wound up buying a used but like new one for dirt cheap and swapping the entire guts to my case so I didn't have to mess with setup or pulling bearings.

Yours still looks fine as long as the cross is not missing teeth. Just buff it up a little bit and it should be fine.

Mine:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
What were you doing to cause it to blow up? Was it ratcheting well during differentiation before it blew up? Is this situation rare, or is it common? I have always thought that Detroits were pretty much bomb proof. Did you break anything else?
This happened after two axle shaft failures and one drive flange failure. Typically you won't see a Detroit blow up by itself; almost always something else in the drivetrain lets go and the energy being released nukes the side gears. From what I've gathered, I'm lucky it lasted as long as it did.

Break anything else...well, yeah, the drive flange. Given this, I'm not surprised the flange popped.

35-spline Yukon 4340 stub.

Junk the whole thing.

Funny you should say that. I was going to go with a lockright initially, I even found a 4.56 open carrier for the axle. Then I ordered the lockright from one vendor, who told me they shipped it, then a week later I found out it was on backorder indefinitely. Cancelled that, found another vendor who actually had them on the shelf. I got that one, opened the box, and it had a D70 lockright inside. Sent it back, waited another two weeks, they sent out another one that ALSO was mislabeled and had a D70 lockright inside. At this point I got pissed, called them up, and they ended up cutting me a great deal on the full Detroit and I had it the next day.

I was also going to do the lockright as a "temporary" measure. Oh well.

For what it's worth right now, I think part of the problem is that I've only been wheeing this current build since the end of April, so I'm finally getting comfortable with it (maybe too much!) and now I'm finding what its limitations are. Obviousy the Jeep 4.0 with 182:1 behind it can cause massive carnage, and now I'm basically just going to have to watch for binding and stuff a little more closely.

·
Premium Member
11,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I bought a used D70 detroit and swapped all the internals when mine did that.
That's not the worst idea ever, although I am on a sort of time crunch (needs to be back together for Big Dogs on Sept. 14th). I don't really have the luxury of waiting for a used one at a decent price to show up.

The other half of the locker is fine. I did break one shaft on that side, but it was a lame break from a beat shaft, so I doubt it caused much damage:

Next trip out this happened on the side that's now fucked, and I'm sure this didn't help things.

I went to the 35-spline 4340 Yukons all around after that, and it lasted many trips and survived all of the hardest trails at Rausch Creek and western Mass without any problems at all, til last week.

·
Premium Member
5,518 Posts
That's not the worst idea ever, although I am on a sort of time crunch (needs to be back together for Big Dogs on Sept. 14th). I don't really have the luxury of waiting for a used one at a decent price to show up.

The other half of the locker is fine. I did break one shaft on that side, but it was a lame break from a beat shaft, so I doubt it caused much damage:

Next trip out this happened on the side that's now fucked, and I'm sure this didn't help things.

I went to the 35-spline 4340 Yukons all around after that, and it lasted many trips and survived all of the hardest trails at Rausch Creek and western Mass without any problems at all, til last week.
Damn you need some long's or some ctm's I would get pissed swappin shafts all the time.

·
Premium Member
11,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Damn you need some long's or some ctm's I would get pissed swappin shafts all the time.
Well, I had great results with the Yukons since I've had them (middle of May), except for this one. Those first two were both stock shafts that broke on the first and second shakedown runs for the rig. It should be getting warrantied so I'll just continue to run them, and not be a throttle-happy idiot in double low range. :D

All this on little 1310 driveline u-joints and a D300 after the doubler with stock outputs front and rear. So much for building in a 'weak link'. :laughing:

edit: however I guess this means the rest of the build is solid, I haven't had any problems at all except for the front axle. :)

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
wow you got no luck, where in western mass did you break that shaft. i live in western mass and i can only think of a few good spots to break a 60 shaft, a detriot, a drive flange and a yukon stub. or was it a combo of rausch creak and mass. hoping to make big dogs my self, but im still only 30 spline stubs but got plenty of spares, jason.

·
Premium Member
11,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
where in western mass did you break that shaft. i live in western mass and i can only think of a few good spots to break a 60 shaft, a detriot, a drive flange and a yukon stub. or was it a combo of rausch creak and mass.
The Mass trip was over memorial day weekend, I had no problems up there at all. This is the first big carnage I've had to deal with since before that trip. We ran Mabelle and a few others in that area, I made pretty much everything at Mabelle and also drove it there and back 45 miles each way from our campsite. :D

This most recent thing was the result of a big undercut that the tire just didn't want to let go of, on the comp course at Rausch last weekend. I had made the line earlier in the day and wanted to do it again later, I guess I hit it just a little differently the second time around.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
its always the second time that gets ya, i broke my 14 bolt on mabell, but it wont break now. get your junk fixed so you can make big dogs, im trying like hell, jason.

·
Premium Member
11,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mabelle is a good time, I wouldn't mind doing that again.

Anyway.

Looks like I'll be calling Jack @ CTM tomorrow, I'll post back what I'm able to find out.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts