Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who here has used a pop up in the winter? I am hunting a different spot this year and might not be able to put my 31ft travel trailer up there. The plan was to pick up a used pop up so we are off the ground. There a few with heaters close to me for a decent price, but I figured someone here would chime in and give their experience. It would be in Mountains of PA (Potter County) in December.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I think it would probably depend on the pop-up. If you have forced air heat, I don't think there would be any problem staying warm. That being said, I just diched my hunting pop up in lieu of the good ol canvas tent route. More room and just as warm (as my pop up was), also because at the altitude I hunt/camp at the heater didn't work for shit (can be changed, camper wasn't worth it). I think it also would depend on what you drive. Myself, pulling a camper with the heep made no room for bringing back game. The choice was easy for me, canvas tent and heater all the way. Everything hauled up on a small flatbed. Having 120sqft of space to deal with is nice too.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I was thinking of going with a canvas tent but I will likely be setting it up myself. I drive a Suburban, and the wife drives and Excursion so cargo room isn't an issue.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I have read about, but not experienced, problems with the vinyl windows cracking in cold weather. I don't recall at what temperature. You may wish to talk with the manufacturer about it. Rumor was that Coleman's were good to about zero but ??? A lot of folks recommended bringing a propane heater and warming up the interior before popping up and down. YMMV.

I thought about taking mine this year. Haven't decided yet. Also thought about making my own canvas tent out of painters tarps. I have access to an industrial sewing machine and have the pipe and fittings from an old Costco canopy. Figured I could make a 12 x 12 with 4-foot sides for a reasonable cost. Waterproof the canvas with linseed oil or Thompsons. There are places on the net to buy a stove-jack to sew in to it and my dad has an old pot-belly stove from a caboose that would work nicely to heat things up.

·
Take a Knee
8,452 Posts
I have a "pop-up" camper that slides into my pickup's bed. I've camped in it in the winter. Way more comfortable than a tent!

Assuming your camper has heat, turn on the heat and let the camper warm up a bit before you pop it up. That will help keep the windows from cracking due to the cold. Same thing before you put it down.

If you have a water system, be sure to keep it dry or keep the temp in the camper above freezing.

Bring a nice, comfy sleeping bag and enjoy!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts