Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been having an issue with porosity in welds. Go to welder is a Miller 211. Using 75/25 gas and .030 wire. No matter how clean the metal is I'm getting it. But the thing is it's not all the time. You can weld once and it will be fine. Then go again and it's bad. This is on the same piece of metal. I've changed the regulator for a new one. Made sure the lead is tight in the machine. I'm at a loss. The machine is a few yrs old. Never an issue before.
Anyone had this issue? TIA.

·
Registered
569 Posts
check the o rings where the mig gun plugs into the machine. lub them with spit as you slide it back in as to not pinch them. Giggity.

·
Premium Member
29,441 Posts
wire brand? recent change?

·
Premium Member
3,189 Posts
I have a Miller 180 I've had for over 20 years. I had to replace the solenoid valve when it was new. I don't remember if it caused porosity or if it just wouldn't shut off but that might be your culprit. It might not be opening each time you start welding.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have a Miller 180 I've had for over 20 years. I had to replace the solenoid valve when it was new. I don't remember if it caused porosity or if it just wouldn't shut off but that might be your culprit. It might not be opening each time you start welding.
We have a milller 250 that every 50th time or so gas will not flow when you start the weld. Stop and restart usualy fixes it..

·
Registered
215 Posts
Make sure that the shielding nozzle is making a good seal and isn’t allowing room air to draw in from behind. Some have nozzles have a rubber or plastic seal. Some have a felt seal. Remove the nozzle and make sure everything looks good.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have similar issues with my 211. For me, I have to clean out the tiny gas orifices under the nozzle. I use a piece of wire or a torch tip cleaning rod and push it into the holes - no spit required. I don't know if it's crap from the bottle or weld splatter. Good luck.

·
Registered
12,647 Posts
check the o rings where the mig gun plugs into the machine. lub them with spit as you slide it back in as to not pinch them. Giggity.
This is the first thing I check. The cap at the wire entry end of the whip sometimes backs off if not screwed on tight enough.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was talking to a the counter guy at my local Airgas one day about shielding gas making nasty fumes (my welds were fine but the fumes it made would choke you out). He said he hadn't heard of anything like that but had heard of oxygen contaminated 75/25 causing porosity. I switched out my cylinder and my nasty fumes were gone.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Flux core dont do that shit

And quit pinching the cord.
I use flux rarely and am careful of not bending the lead. I just put a new roll of wire in. It was doing it before also. Wire doesn't have time to rust on me.

I pulled the lead. One of the orings had a nick. Ordered new ones. I did grease the old ones a little and did a few test welds. Seems to work fine. I didn't have any welding projects today to really test it.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was talking to a the counter guy at my local Airgas one day about shielding gas making nasty fumes (my welds were fine but the fumes it made would choke you out). He said he hadn't heard of anything like that but had heard of oxygen contaminated 75/25 causing porosity. I switched out my cylinder and my nasty fumes were gone.
This is interesting. I did just get all of the cylinders exchanged.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Yes this also^ I just had to exchange a bottle of argon that just would not weld aluminum clean. New bottle welded great.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Been having an issue with porosity in welds. Go to welder is a Miller 211. Using 75/25 gas and .030 wire. No matter how clean the metal is I'm getting it. But the thing is it's not all the time. You can weld once and it will be fine. Then go again and it's bad. This is on the same piece of metal. I've changed the regulator for a new one. Made sure the lead is tight in the machine. I'm at a loss. The machine is a few yrs old. Never an issue before.
Anyone had this issue? TIA.
I have this exact issue with my hobart 210.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts