Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Have you guys looked into your ground?

A look at the cable going into the lug in your clamp.
I haven't. Seems to be working fine most of the time now. Co worker welded up a stand and most welds were fine with exception of a couple started good but changed part way through. We changed the cone on the lead. The one we had on seamed a tad short. The tip was sticking out a touch. But I don't think that did anything. Hopefully new orings will fix it.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
What wire are you using? I've never had purosity or spatter problems up until about 3 months ago when the local harbour frieght started carrying 33lb spools of wire. Nobody stocks it withing a 40min drive of me so I bought it and have had nothing but problems since. I just switched back to hobart brand wire and the problem went away instantly

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
What wire are you using? I've never had purosity or spatter problems up until about 3 months ago when the local harbour frieght started carrying 33lb spools of wire. Nobody stocks it withing a 40min drive of me so I bought it and have had nothing but problems since. I just switched back to hobart brand wire and the problem went away instantly
Radnor 11lb spools from Airgas. Been using that for yrs. Easy to get for us.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
Make sure that the shielding nozzle is making a good seal and isn’t allowing room air to draw in from behind. Some have nozzles have a rubber or plastic seal. Some have a felt seal. Remove the nozzle and make sure everything looks good.
had the same recurring issues on my Hobart 210, replacing the worn out nozzle corrected it

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
I have similar issues with my 211. For me, I have to clean out the tiny gas orifices under the nozzle. I use a piece of wire or a torch tip cleaning rod and push it into the holes - no spit required. I don't know if it's crap from the bottle or weld splatter. Good luck.
I have the same issue, and this is my fix. I recently installed a new one and it made a difference from just cleaning them out.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Well I replaced the nozzle,greased the o-rings. They had a little nick. Waiting on replacements from Airgas. Cleaned the tip and had to turn the gas up a touch. But I burned a winch plate/bumper on the Willys project and all was good.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Funny just saw this post. I had an issue this weekend where all of the sudden I had bad porosity in my weld using a Hobart 210MVP. I checked everything, wire looked good, gas was flowing when I hit the trigger, gas nozzle clear, replaced tip, replaced o-rings, messed with wire feed speed, no wind, you name it. After asking the book of faces one of the things I hadn’t changed was the liner. Ran to the store and picked up a new liner and wire since I was about on my last wrap of the spool. Put the new wire in and changed the liner. I normally have to take my gun apart to replace the liner because it gets caught where the 90 is on the gun. Upon taking part the gun I found the outer insulation of the whip was cut in two places creating a flap that pulled out of the crimped fitting. I shoved it back in and taped it up with electrical tape.

TLDR: New wire, or liner, or cut inside gun was my issue.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts