Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
I got off work a few hours early today so I decided to throw a few tubes on the chassis. Chassis has to come off the table tomorrow to build another chassis for someone else, so the updates will be slow for a few weeks. I plan to start the axle builds here this next week, since my new housings are in

Getting rough ideas of how I am going to mount the radiators and if everything will fit like I plan. The idea is a 22x19 on the passenger side, and a 22x13 on the drivers side plumbed in series. I have two ford superduty trans coolers that are very large (20 x 19ish) that I plan to mount on top of the radiators, one for the trans, one for oil. I'm planning to build a cradle in the floor to hold the radiators, and have the seat mounts sandwich them in on top.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Finally getting some time to resume work on this build after working a shit ton of hours the last 2 months at my nursing job. Started the assembly of the new front axle housing. The trail gear housing was about 0.080" out of alignment so it took a few hours to get the housing straight before I added outer parts. I'll add the steering and link mounts tomorrow. This summer heat has just been stupid. At the start of the month I made the decision to make a go at running the shop fulltime, so in a few weeks I'll be moving everything to a climate controlled shop roughly double the size of my current shop.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
A few more updates. I hope to have the front shocks, control arms, and steering all mounted by Sunday so I can move on to the rear axle build.
Steering arms almost finished

Finished out the rear roof portion of the chassis. I had cleaned my table off but unfortunately it has become a catchall again as I have started preparing to move the contents of the shop to a new 2500sq ft space

Lower link mounts. The bottom of the belly unbolts and can be removed to make maintenance easier

Chassis side uppers. They tie into the floor and belly tubes, and will be boxed in as well

Drivers side upper at the axle is just a pair of tabs

Steering ram mocked up. Passenger side uppers will be part of a truss that incorporates the ram mount

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Duh! That's a great way to mock up the steering ram .. I'd never thought of that and instead have always tried hanging and suspending the ram from above during mock up.

Looking good man, I think you'll be happy to get into a bigger shop, hopefully above the water table eh? :flipoff2:

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
So do I understand your going in to business? I suppose that will slowdown progress. I need to stop in next time I'm down that way. (Got folks in Orlando and Haines city)

Carry on.
Duh! That's a great way to mock up the steering ram .. I'd never thought of that and instead have always tried hanging and suspending the ram from above during mock up.

Looking good man, I think you'll be happy to get into a bigger shop, hopefully above the water table eh? :flipoff2:
I've been doing fab work for people since '04. At the beginning of '07 I made the leap to do it full time and had a great first and second year. The market crash finally caught up with me in 09 and some poor business decisions pretty much forced me back into working for someone else in 2010 (and small part of why I have gone without a rig since then). This build probably couldn't get any slower:flipoff2: . The plan for the shop is to get more into the DIY market. Brackets, tabs, bumpers, cage kits, chassis kits etc. I'm also looking at buying a CNC mill and lathe and venturing into the realm of manufacturing.

1.75" x .120 wall works perfect for 2.5" ram. I can't take credit for the idea though, but it does make life easy for mocking up rams.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Got the suspension set up at full stuff today and threw a tire on. My original plan of mounting the shocks off the backside of the steering C is not going to work due to clearance issues with the tire and lower control arm mounting bolt. I have a plan in the works to mount them more conventionally on top of the axle tube. The buggy was built with having a good amount of up travel in mind.
Full stuff

45" SXII's

7" backspaced trailready's tuck the portals in well for minimal scrub

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Only got a few hours in this morning on this. Cycled the suspension to make sure everything cleared. 45* of steering is no problem up front

Chassis has to come off the table tomorrow to free my table up for some customer work. In the meantime I'm going to try and get the front axle finished up, and the rear axle built as well over the next 2 weeks

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Sorry for the lack of updates:flipoff2:. We have been super busy this month with the new shop and hoping to start moving in the new building next month. We just added a Haas VF3 and hopefully purchasing a Mori Seiki SL25 next week
https://imgur.com/Uzn66hs

Hopefully I'll get back on this build soon

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
Not much for updates right now. Rear portion of tube work is almost finished. The front is getting completely cut off again due to a change in shock mounting location to clear the new wheels. Here are a few pics of the buggy being loaded and moved to its new home at the new shop.

Buggy is coming out way better than expected. It sits 78" tall, 90" wide and I have no problem getting 45* of steering up front and 42-43* in the rear and still clear the tube work and seats.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Thanks!

Bummer about all the extra work redoing the front end but looks awesome. Keep up the good work.
Shit happens. Right now the goal is to get it finished and built into as universal as possible platform as I plan to start selling a chassis like it, as well as a 2 seat version as a DIY kit here in the very near future

I like this A LOT ! :beer:
Thanks

What's the plan for axle shafts with these hummer portals?
I have RCV's for the stubs. I just bought a CNC lathe so I'll be cutting and splining my own inners once I get the machine up and running. I have 31 spline yukon air lockers, with 3:1 R&P.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Shit happens. Right now the goal is to get it finished and built into as universal as possible platform as I plan to start selling a chassis like it, as well as a 2 seat version as a DIY kit here in the very near future.
Do you have a commercial shop there in Z-hills? (I get down there now and then)

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Do you have a commercial shop there in Z-hills? (I get down there now and then)
Yes. We are officially open for business, but have not moved into our new building yet due to the contractor taking his sweet time. We started moving tools and equipment in this past week so we are hoping that will motivate them to get their asses in gear. Contractor is saying the end of next week, but we have been hearing that for the last 3 months so we will see

645 Fabworx
3885 Correia Dr.
Zephyrhills, Fl 33542

21 - 40 of 55 Posts