Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Nice build. Curious as to why you always fully weld your tubes, rather than 4 hard tacs per joint? Just seems overzealous, especially when you’ve cut it off twice now.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Overtime is popping !
What cad/cam package will you be running ?
I use bend tech, fushion 360, and solid works. Bend tech is pretty simple to use but I spend a lot of time on youtube tutorials with the other two

Nice build. Curious as to why you always fully weld your tubes, rather than 4 hard tacs per joint? Just seems overzealous, especially when you’ve cut it off twice now.
Honestly its a bad habit I've gotten into, mainly because due to the humidity here a nice clean weld joint will rust in a matter of hours, and its just easier to fully weld while clean.The old shop was open on one side so it was really easy for moisture to get to things. The new shop should cut down considerably on that problem. It also didn't help that I was sure the chassis wouldn't change again as everything cleared with room to spare with my other wheels.

·
Premium Member
29,441 Posts
I use bend tech, fushion 360, and solid works. Bend tech is pretty simple to use but I spend a lot of time on youtube tutorials with the other two
I have a fusion 360 version, but honestly unless i'm doing art or something, it is just easier to program at the machine, for me anyways. the nice thing, or arguably only thing, about buying a haass is the controller layout is pretty straightforward.

especially for a one man shop, cuts out a step going right to the machine and then you don't have any fiddly computer to controller errors to clean up.

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
Those shafts and thirds are like killing ants with a sledge hammer when combined with portals.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Those shafts and thirds are like killing ants with a sledge hammer when combined with portals.
The 10" 3rd's I have will not work due to the way the pinion supports oil not being compatible with an upside down diff. I'm going to be running a conventional 9". Even so, with almost 800hp at the crank, they are gonna need to be strong

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
Time to bump this thread with some updates. With opening of the new shop this project had to be shelved for quite a while. After going through 6 different employees in months of Feb/Mar I was finally able to hire a decent machinist and great worker for the shop which has finally allowed me to have a few hours in the evenings to tinker with this project. I'm still partially in a cut out and redo mode as my mind changes constantly on how I want things to end up.

First up was the redo of the front tube work. We purchased a Bend-Tech dragon and this was one of the first projects done with it. I have some pretty mixed emotions about it. I've used the bend tech software for years and love it...the dragon, not so much. With that said, I haven't used a notcher or bandsaw to cut/notch tubing in about 3 months now, and it literally can do a weeks worth of cutting and notching in less than a day, when it decides to run without something in the control going to shit. Tubes fitting perfect with no effort is definitely spoiling me

That should be the last redo of the front tube work. Everything fits like I want and the only thing I am unhappy about is the height of the front shocks since they will be coming through the hood by quite a big amount.

I also wasn't happy with the front seat mounts I had built, as they didn't allow good headroom, or room for the radiator that will be mounted under the passenger seat. The original 1.75" tubes were cut out, and replaced with some 1.25" tube that will eventually tie into the windshield tubes, and head mounts on the back of the engine (no pictures of that yet:flipoff2:)

I built these plates to serve as the mounting bases of the seats. I'll get some pics f them mounted and in the buggy in the next day or 2

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
Time to bump this thread with some updates. With opening of the new shop this project had to be shelved for quite a while. After going through 6 different employees in months of Feb/Mar I was finally able to hire a decent machinist and great worker for the shop which has finally allowed me to have a few hours in the evenings to tinker with this project. I'm still partially in a cut out and redo mode as my mind changes constantly on how I want things to end up.

First up was the redo of the front tube work. We purchased a Bend-Tech dragon and this was one of the first projects done with it. I have some pretty mixed emotions about it. I've used the bend tech software for years and love it...the dragon, not so much. With that said, I haven't used a notcher or bandsaw to cut/notch tubing in about 3 months now, and it literally can do a weeks worth of cutting and notching in less than a day, when it decides to run without something in the control going to shit. Tubes fitting perfect with no effort is definitely spoiling me

That should be the last redo of the front tube work. Everything fits like I want and the only thing I am unhappy about is the height of the front shocks since they will be coming through the hood by quite a big amount.

I also wasn't happy with the front seat mounts I had built, as they didn't allow good headroom, or room for the radiator that will be mounted under the passenger seat. The original 1.75" tubes were cut out, and replaced with some 1.25" tube that will eventually tie into the windshield tubes, and head mounts on the back of the engine (no pictures of that yet:flipoff2:)

I built these plates to serve as the mounting bases of the seats. I'll get some pics f them mounted and in the buggy in the next day or 2

https://i.imgur.com/go6nnCu.jpg[/mg]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/51YumKJ.jpg
Which model of the Dragon did you get? I am looking at purchasing the A400 very soon.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Which model of the Dragon did you get? I am looking at purchasing the A400 very soon.

We have the 24ft A400. We have constant issues with the software crashing, and other setup issues. For the money spent it was a pretty disappointing purchase considering the machine uses MACH3 for the controller, has stepper motors, and no torch height control. With that said, when it runs, its amazing and has significantly cut down on labor in the shop. The few times I have called bend tech they have on the spot with helping with issues, but we are so busy at my shop I rarely have time to sit on the phone and complain to customer support

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
We have the 24ft A400. We have constant issues with the software crashing, and other setup issues. For the money spent it was a pretty disappointing purchase considering the machine uses MACH3 for the controller, has stepper motors, and no torch height control. With that said, when it runs, its amazing and has significantly cut down on labor in the shop. The few times I have called bend tech they have on the spot with helping with issues, but we are so busy at my shop I rarely have time to sit on the phone and complain to customer support
Just be glad your not in Australia. My buddy down there bought one with their supplied transformer to run on 50HZ. It cooked the electronics. They had to do the repairs themselves with locally sourced parts. It runs now but they are still having issues.

·
Premium Member
29,441 Posts
well dang, really hope you get the A400 issues sorted. good to hear that it sounds like the full time shop + move are working out :beer:

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
Yikes. That's the one we were looking at buying. Any other brands you looked at or wish you would have gone with instead?

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Yikes. That's the one we were looking at buying. Any other brands you looked at or wish you would have gone with instead?

We did a lot of research and there were several in the same price range as the dragon ($40k) that had better components such as a hydraulic controlled head, THC, servo motors, etc.I will have to find my notes but I believe it was Lonestar and LDR that had a really nice setup. To be honest the primary selling point of the dragon was that everyone in the shop at the time knew how to use the bend tech software, so we ASSumed it would be an easy transition to running the dragon. The dragon controls have been dumbed down and are pretty easy as long as all the components work as they should. If one has an issue, it becomes a huge clusterfuck getting the machine working again.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
A few more updates.We have been slammed at the shop with trying to get some projects out the door so my time on this has been limited to about an hour or so nightly.

First up is the seat mounts. I still need to add in the harness tabs and finish boxing in the front and back of the base. The front of the base will have a screen mesh and serve as the fresh air intake for the radiator which will be mounted under the passenger seat, and oil/trans/steering coolers mounted under the drivers seat

X braces behind the seats done.

Threw the narrowed front clip on the buggy to get an idea of how things will sit. Hood is raked down an additional 2" in the front over a conventional jeep

Pulled the chassis off the table to do the last round of changes to it. I took advantage ofthe tractor and raised the chassis to a comfortable working height for removal and grinding of some of the parts

Also. We are now offering 7075 aluminum links at the shop. We are stocking sizes from 1" up to 2.5" if anyone is looking to have some aluminum control arms made. I'm also looking at getting into the heat treated cro-mo link business as I have a heat treater in building next to me

41 - 55 of 55 Posts