Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some instructions on how to port my YJ steering box for hydraulic assist. Pictures of how people did them would help. I know I can tap it right in the caps, but I don't want to mess around with the front aluminum cap. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Tonk here on the boars sells new billett end caps that are ported already. Tapping the top one is simple.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Excellent! That's exactly what I've been trying to find all day! Thanks! Nice flat spots for porting the box. Looks easy! :) Any tips? Any detailed writeups on Jeep boxes?

·
Registered
751 Posts
TJ bob those are great pictures. I, as well as Bgreen on this board have been trouncing around the search pile for a LONG time trying to find just that picture!

Do you have any more pictures of maybe your box torn apart and the reasoning you tapped in those exact spots?

Would be some good information for all who are trying to learn about this stuff.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Well the lower one is for left turn and the upper one is for right turn and those spots are where the pressure is in the spool valve when makeing those turns.

Bob did you take the box apart to do those or just fish out the chips afterwards?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How close do I have to get to those exact spots? How much room do I have to screw up before I ruin the box? Is everyone using 1/4" NPT to tap the box?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Actually I can't take credit for the work that a fellow jeeper did to his jeep (I don't think he's on Pirate). I'm getting ready to do the same thing to my box (I just saved the pics for a rainy day).

Ask 1tontj some questions as he did it as well.

It's my understanding that it's best to disassemble the box so that the shavings don't get into it.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
ok i did a search for tonk and came up nill. who sells the already ported billet end caps?

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
thanks you just answered my question in another thread. my box is all torn apart so i guess i will drill it today!

i too would like to know how close do you have to get or just do it and find out?

·
Registered
820 Posts
So the lower hole is for the left turn. My ram is attached at the Diff and tie rod. The shaft goes toward the pass side. So the lower hose would go to the drivers side hole on the ram? Getting ready to hook all my stuff up Tuesday. Thanks, Dennis

·
Registered
81 Posts
i hate to drudge up an old post but this thread shows 2 different places to drill and tap yor steerng box and i was just curious which one was right?? are they both if thats the case which is better?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The pictures posted by TJBob show the preferred locations. Get yerself a factory service manual to get the details about how to tear apart the box and get it back together properly, BE CAREFUL WHEN YOU TAKE OUT THE SHAFT OR YOU WILL LOSE SOME OF THE RECIRCULATING BALLS! Since my original post in this thread I have ported my own box and several other Saginaw boxes, and all have been successful.

TJBob, are the pictures you posted your box? Why did you reassemble the box before tapping the holes???

·
Registered
413 Posts
GhettoRig said:
TJBob, are the pictures you posted your box? Why did you reassemble the box before tapping the holes???
No that wasn't my box, it came from someone I knew that did it to his. I would have tapped the holes before reassembling.

Bob

·
Registered
81 Posts

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
yeehaw87 said:
i hate to drudge up an old post but this thread shows 2 different places to drill and tap yor steerng box and i was just curious which one was right?? are they both if thats the case which is better?
I like tapping the caps myself. They get fluid from the same spots and work about the same but tapping the aluminum caps doesn't change the box at all. So if you toast the box just get another from the junkyard and put your caps on it and go. I also don't have to worry about getting chips inside the box from tapping or have to rebuild the box. I buy a new endap now though, i don't tap the stock endcap. They both work though so use whatever way you like.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts