Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im doing a mild performance rebuild on my sbc, and have gottten to one of the last parts to be done, the heads. i dont really want to spend $600+ on a new peformance set of heads, But i need to rebuilt my stock ones any ways. so what about when i have them rebuilt or rebuild them my self, haveing them ported? has any one had theirs ported? hows the difference? Worth it or not?

Thanks
cody

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
get the casting # off of them and look it up on the web.,....some #s are better than others...might be a waste of time to port them....and or get them rebuilt....if you arew looking for a performance upgrade
imho....

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
4x4MuDmAn74 said:
Im doing a mild performance rebuild on my sbc, and have gottten to one of the last parts to be done, the heads. i dont really want to spend $600+ on a new peformance set of heads, But i need to rebuilt my stock ones any ways. so what about when i have them rebuilt or rebuild them my self, haveing them ported? has any one had theirs ported? hows the difference? Worth it or not?

Thanks
cody
Cody,
I've got a set of GM Performance Parts BowTie phaseII heads with 10,000 miles on them for sale for $200.00. As you can see I live less than 10 miles away. These have 2.02 Manley Race Flo's and Comp Cam double springs with 64cc chambers and 184cc intake volume. You could just bolt em on and go, but If it was me I'd have someone go through em and clean everything up.
Scott

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
mr willies.....

if he doesnt take em i might.....

will they fit older chevs?????

let me know thnx ryan

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
71RCKCRZR RYAN said:
mr willies.....

if he doesnt take em i might.....

will they fit older chevs?????

let me know thnx ryan
Hey Ryan:
If Cody don't come through I'll let you know, but he was just here at the house and seems like he's interested. I'll know for sure Tuesday, but he looks like he could use the deal.
Scott

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
coolio

·
Registered
154 Posts
If your going to port a stock style heads all you want to do is a gasket match on intake and lighty smooth out the casting on the inside. My .02 cents.

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
rockhumper said:
If your going to port a stock style heads all you want to do is a gasket match on intake and lighty smooth out the casting on the inside. My .02 cents.
Yup, this is good. You could spend some time getting the exhaust a little smoother but mostly just taking the casting flash off. Be very careful of getting near the valve seats.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
JeepinDoug said:
Yup, this is good. You could spend some time getting the exhaust a little smoother but mostly just taking the casting flash off. Be very careful of getting near the valve seats.
the above two post are good guide lined for a crawler motor. gasket match the head and intake to the gasket. remove teh casting flash and spend a little time on the bowl area on teh exhaust side.

on the intake bowl you can knco down the sharp edces and that's it. dont remove much material. and definately dont polish teh intake side. you can polish teh exhaust side if you want but not really worth the effort.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts