Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
portioning valve and booster ? Revised

Ok, so I have to revise my first part. I have a 90 XJ limited with ABS. I am not going to be using the abs lines anymore. I also have a cannister or ball instead of a brake booster. So has anybody done a switch on a set up like this. My main questions are do I need to remove that cannister, will the E-350 MC match up to this cannister? Or should I go with a summit proportioning valve to a e-350mc to a 96 xj booster in to my lines set up. Well thanks ahead for any help and if you have any pics please post or send to [email protected]. Oh yeah and I am not sure if it matters but I am running dual piston calipers upfront. thanks again.

I am putting in a 14 bolt in the rear of my Geep and I know I need a new portioning valve for the disk break set up. Anybody have any info on what they have used I went with the front calipers off of a chevy instead of the el dorado. Also what type of booster set up does a 90 limited come with. i have a cannister were my booster should be, so I was wondering if anybody has any info on that too. thanks

·
Registered
87 Posts
A 1996 XJ booster AND master cylinder will bolt right up. I'm running it on my '86 MJ with NO mods needed. I'm not sure if the 1995 booster is the same BUT I knew the 1996 would fit. The '96 booster is dual diaphragm whereareas the pre-96 are single. AND post-96 boosters have various rod lenghts and will not bolt in without mods.

For the prop valve I did not get a factory valve...I ran the front line directly to the front brakes (split with a T). For the rear I got an aftermarket prop valve..ran about $50...most any parts store should be able to get one...if not order it online from any aftermarket brake manufacturer. Most of them are equal quality from what I've read (mine's a wilwood) and they allow you to turn the rear brakes down up to 57%.

I am also running late model chebbie discs on my 9" rear with stock ford bronco discs on my HP-44 front. My MJ on 35's stops on a dime and picks it up.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will be running 39.5s so I might go with the 96 xj booster and see if the dodge 3500 MC will hook up. and you said you got an aftermarket portioning valve. Do you have a part number or vehicle reference? thanks for the info.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I have a D60 front and 14Bolt rear with discs. I'm running a 85 E350 M/C with a Summit Racing portioning valve. It works great. Works good enough that I loocked it up and slid 42" TLS's and ended up bending stock YJ springs. Now got RE1445's and it's a beautiful thing. The M/c isn't that expensive either, like $10 with core and $15 w/o core exchange. You have to drill out the mouting bolts and grind down the ears just a little but def. worth it. Good luck.

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
I ran stock front D60 GM calipers, GM 1/2 ton calipers on my rear D70 in my 94 YJ. Used a 79 bronco master and just pulled the o-ring out of the proportioning valve. Would lock all 4's with ease.

·
Premium Member
3,209 Posts
I think you can run the cheaper E350 MC instead of the 1 ton dodge. The TJs have to run the dodge because they seal better than the others. I'm running the dodge mc, and an adjustable prop valve from spidertrax on a D60/14b with 39.5's and stops great.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Valve

I used the wilwood adjustable valve with the Mercury Marquis MC. I used the Chevy Monte Carlo brakes on my rear axle and it stops well. I lower the pressure to the rear axle on the street and do a 50 / 50 split off road.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks, I installed my 14 bolt yesterday and bleed on the brakes and my Geep stops better then it did before, but I am still going to order the valve and mc. thanks for the bump and the pics.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts