Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I burned up the motor in my chop saw again. Out of warranty this time so I have some options.
1. Pay to get it fixed. Anyone ever done this? How much?
2. Buy another one. Which one? Was gonna get a Milwaukee, and then looked at the new Craftsman chop saw. I haven't been a fan of Craftsman power tools but this one looks nice. 15 amp, cast base, can adjust angle with no tools, adjustable depth (for when the blade starts to wear out, VERY cool!), lower price (but sold out). Anyone tried one of these yet?

·
Registered
10,513 Posts
Craftsman=LIFETIME WARRANTY;)
As for me I got a cheap $50 HF (one year warranty)one and Ive burned one saw up but I think that one was totally fawked cuz Ive made 3 times as many cuts with the replacment one. I wish I had the coin for a milwaukee but mine will do for now.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Brad said:
Craftsman=LIFETIME WARRANTY;)
WRONG WRONG WRONG.

There is only a year on craftsman power tools, but feel free to buy as long of an extended warranty as you want.

I work fixing sears products... and I cant tell you how many people throw fits because they cant read the fucking owners manual. "its a craftsman... its for ever" errrrrrr wrong. Only handtools are lifetime warranty.:mad:

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
try pawn-shopping i got a new in box Dewalt (the overkill idustrial fawker) for 100bucks cause they labeled it wrong:flipoff2: (list price 250ish)
or try ebay but spell like an idiot (not hard for me) and you will be surprised at the number you find not bid on cause people cant spell.
Whats wrong with Dewalt :confused: mine has had no problems. try rebulding it yourself first.
its probly just the brushes:flipoff2:

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Are you using thick enough extension cord? You can burn up the motor with a thin cord. I'd go with a minimum of 12 gauge for the extension cord.

I've had good luck with Dewalt products.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
I agree on the cord thing. Except I use 10 gauge. I have been using a cheap arse delta for over 18months with no issues.

j

·
pimping sparks&smoke
706 Posts
I've had a Makita for about five years (used almost daily), and it has been used very very hard, and never once have I even had a hiccup out of it! I also have checked the brushes just for the hell of it , and they are a long ways from being done. I have used others but since I have had such good luck with Mak tools I would definately recommend this saw. Also although this has been brought up before the makita saw is US made in Buford , Georgia whereas the others (ie DeWalt, Milwalkee,etc) are made in China. This is only for the abrasive chop saws however becuase for some F%^$in reason Makita decided that there cold saw was to made in china! WTF ever.
If my saw went down I would consider a cold saw (cheap $400ish kind) BUT I still really like abrasive so I probably would still have to buy another Mak, and maybe have the cold saw for "special stuff".
I must say it again my saw gets no love it has been beat down badly , and keeps on rolling.
Richard

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
My Rigid Chopsaw's motor just burned up.

I pulled the motor apart cleaned up all the junk and burrs of the inerds then modified the brushes.

Put it back together and it works better then ever.

Your motor is shot. It's worth it to at least try to fix it yourself.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
I wonder just how different any of these are under the skin. For years I had a house brand from Northern Tool. When I first got it it worked like shit until I pulled it apart and tightened up the screws that held the wires to the switch. It worked great after that. It was ripped off, and I replaced it with the cheaper Milwaukee. I think the old Northern mod was better. I run a 50 ft 10 ga chord from a 20 amp circuit right off the circuit panel. With the old northern I only popped a breaker in the summer when I beat the crap out of it. The milwaukee regularly pops the breaker when it is 20 degrees outside. The Milwaulkee in no stronger than the Northern.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Malltero said:

WRONG WRONG WRONG.

There is only a year on craftsman power tools, but feel free to buy as long of an extended warranty as you want.

I work fixing sears products... and I cant tell you how many people throw fits because they cant read the fucking owners manual. "its a craftsman... its for ever" errrrrrr wrong. Only handtools are lifetime warranty.:mad:
Yup, one year... So, you fix the damn things, would you buy one? Has the Craftsman chop saw been good, or junk?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Monkeyboy said:
My Rigid Chopsaw's motor just burned up.

I pulled the motor apart cleaned up all the junk and burrs of the inerds then modified the brushes.

Put it back together and it works better then ever.

Your motor is shot. It's worth it to at least try to fix it yourself.
Worth a try, although I've never really messed with electric motors much. Any tips? This thing burned up so nice that it started to melt it's plastic housing...

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
fj40charles said:
Are you using thick enough extension cord? You can burn up the motor with a thin cord. I'd go with a minimum of 12 gauge for the extension cord.

I've had good luck with Dewalt products.
It was plugged directly into the outlet, on a 30 amp fuse.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
GhettoRig said:

Worth a try, although I've never really messed with electric motors much. Any tips? This thing burned up so nice that it started to melt it's plastic housing...
Take it apart and look for where all the resistance/friction is at.
part that I saw that was bad on mine was where the brushes contacted the shaft I files off the burrs until I no longer had the shower of sparks flying inside the motor.

I don't know anything about electric motors either I just figured that if I could find the spource of all the friction and elininate it It would work again and it did

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
RudeZuk said:
I have abused the hell out of my Milwakee saw for over 2 years now, and it works awesome!

have to disagree......i have bought 2 Milwaukees from Grainger in the past 2 years..........

1st one burned up

second is showing some signs of submission :rolleyes:

My dad has a slightly different model Mikwaukee than i have.......and it is starting to tire as well.

we aren't talking 8 hrs a day use either......and no i'm not "leaning" on it hard..........
just seems the motors are not as good as they once were.

On top of that my 1/2" milwaukee drill just took a crap .....so I like most people thought i'd cut the crap and just get Milwaukee....but her's to all the coin i've spent on that crap :flipoff:

from what my welding supplier tells me the Hitachi is the top of the like shit these days.........anybody tried this one???????

gonna be in the market soon.......:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
12,214 Posts
ChiScouter said:
I wonder just how different any of these are under the skin. For years I had a house brand from Northern Tool. When I first got it it worked like shit until I pulled it apart and tightened up the screws that held the wires to the switch. It worked great after that. It was ripped off, and I replaced it with the cheaper Milwaukee. I think the old Northern mod was better. I run a 50 ft 10 ga chord from a 20 amp circuit right off the circuit panel. With the old northern I only popped a breaker in the summer when I beat the crap out of it. The milwaukee regularly pops the breaker when it is 20 degrees outside. The Milwaulkee in no stronger than the Northern.
DUDE if your poping 20 amp circuts on a 10 amp tool you have other issues..
Open the sucker up and look for crap in the windings. Remember folks we are cutting metal with Chop saws Metal dust is still metal and if you clog up your windings you will get a short and fry your tool.

·
Registered
641 Posts
has anyone tried using a 10in mitre saw with an abrasive blade? I saw a 10in abrasive blade at sears the other day and it got me thinking since I need a miter saw anyway.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
missingmy84toy said:
has anyone tried using a 10in mitre saw with an abrasive blade? I saw a 10in abrasive blade at sears the other day and it got me thinking since I need a miter saw anyway.
Yes, a buddy of mine did this with our old boss's Dewalt saw (had a summer job building decks). Don't know about long term durability, but short term, watch out for the plastic guarding as it likes to melt.

Pete

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
missingmy84toy said:
That's what my Delta IS! Works fine. I wouldn't say that I use it everyday, but at least every weekend. It's cool to be able to do would and compound metal cuts...

j

1 - 20 of 50 Posts