Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so i found a 91 in mint condition, doesnt look like its ever even been in a gravel driveway.. 54k miles, new top, all records etc.. got towed behind a motor home for a few years till the old man died.

my question: is the factory fuel injection worth it? ie: will it tolerate mild upgrades such as the isky cam , headers etc? or am i going to wind up wanting to do a swap no mater what?
how much better does the injected motor run than the carb'd motor. i know in steep sections it'll be a ton better..

i dont plan to do a all out machine if i buy it.. more of just an all around trail rig. i was thinking soa w/ yj's, toy axles w/ f+r lockers, and prob 34x9 tsls

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so, will the factory efi tolerate a minor cam upgrade ? or is it picky like the early gm stuff?

im a big hp guy and i know im never going to be hapy with it, but will i be able to build enough power to get it down the road on 34's etc with it fairly stock? im new to sami's and have done alot of reading, but i havent driven any, so i dont know realy what to expect. i know they are verry capable with minor mods. its not going to be a daily driver, so commuting at 60 isnt a concern, just weather ill be holding up trafic on the way to a trail head. i realy hate life in the slow lane..

·
Registered
600 Posts
Fi is awesome compared to carbed i have tried the 32/36 weber Fi and a stock carb with the vent tube upgrade ....fi is by far the best and it sounds the same as a weber and it will run on its side since i dont have fi now a stock carb works i would rather loose some hp than flood on the side of a hill also my snorkel wont work with the weber

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
T1H5_TA3 said:
so, will the factory efi tolerate a minor cam upgrade ? or is it picky like the early gm stuff?

im a big hp guy and i know im never going to be hapy with it, but will i be able to build enough power to get it down the road on 34's etc with it fairly stock?.....and
.... i realy hate life in the slow lane..
you sure you want to drive a zuke? Stock it will drive great and go along pretty good. with 34s on a "stock" setup ummm no, might be a little slower than expected, pushing harder on the peddle wont help either :)

Slap in one of those $550 t-case kits that on sale right now and for a DD youd be doing great.... Stock with any set up will get up to speed your just not gonna do a whole lot of passing.

ive got a '92 with efi and have had random thoughts about dumping it all for simplicity, but when i go out after its been sitting for 5 months and it fires right up, and runs well, passes the sniff np etc... i quickly change my mind.... And it dos run a lot better in all situations than a stock carb setup.... (this isnt to say all this cant be done with a good carb config. just that mine is 100% stock)

I'm running a thorly 3y header with 2" cat and full 2" exhaust and it goes well. I have no idea how it will work with cam and other parts, I think some others have/or have done this and can offer some advice,

I think the limiting factor is fuel flow, and somone ?? had uped the pressure regulator with some sucess, i can remeber who this was.....

good luck, if you do this keep track of your mods and post back your results,

-yag

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Dnt know about the cam but mine is a 90 efi and just like zukipuke said it will start any time one day or one year later.all my carb buddies want fi so thats my 02. worth by the way i gave 2500 for mine 3 years ago.it seems like you can get a carb zook a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
yha, a 6:1 case would def be one of the first upgrades, along with the yj spring over and lockers. id be doing toy axles a little ways down the road

and yha, carbed ones are cheeper around here, but id rather spend a little more right off the bat to get efi, than spend a ton of money down the road trying to upgrade a carb'd one. besides this one is clean and unmolested, so i dont have to worry about trying to fix som one elses headache..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.