Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Slowly gathering parts for a 2wd 3 gen build. This will be a pretty mild build compared to my last few trucks but it will be different than most. I know it will most likely turn into a huge flame fest. Does anybody even care if I do a build thread? I know Stubbs is getting bored with the site. If nobody cares I'll kindly fuck off. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Post it up and show us what cha got!

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My last few trucks were the typical IFS conversions. I never liked the way that the trucks always sat so high with the shitty frame and drop hangers. I always said to myself the next truck I build will be a 2wd. I wanted to have the truck sit as low as possible so I decided spring under was the way to go. After a few minutes of fuckery I ended up with this.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't touched the front axle in a few months. It's been way too cold in the garage to do anything. I did manage to get it partially sand blasted at my friends. I need to pick up a couple more bags of blasting media to finish it.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since I planned on building it low hi steer was out of the question. I decided to go the cheap route and reuse what I had. I ended up picking up another set of stock steering arms from Gslander. I had the arms bored out to 3/4" so I can run a grade 8 bolt thru for double sheer.

·
Premium Member
29,407 Posts
If I'm wasting bandwidth let me know. I'll delete this shit!
unpossible!

even a "mild" build thread with good pictures is better than a "hardcore" tech question that is vague as fuck with no direction :flipoff2:

fabbin' is fabbin'

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
One issue I ran into doing drop/lowered perches was the spring pin hight. It would hit the axle tube when it sat down on the perch

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
unpossible!

even a "mild" build thread with good pictures is better than a "hardcore" tech question that is vague as fuck with no direction :flipoff2:

fabbin' is fabbin'
That's what I figure. There isn't much of anything going on these days. :(

One issue I ran into doing drop/lowered perches was the spring pin hight. It would hit the axle tube when it sat down on the perch
Thanks for the heads up.

·
Premium Member
29,407 Posts
meh, there is still 'lots' going on in here, just not like it was during the peak of pre-facebook pre-great recession.

not sure how many other folks log on daily, but over the course of a week it seems pretty solid. there is so many options and so much of the basic stuff has been hashed out that flaming in build threads isn't really much needed. i'd prefer more of a build it and see anyways...best way to find out what works

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Now that I know at least a couple people are in for the flame fest I'll post more. I hate cleaning Toyota front axles with a passion. This thing was a fucking mess. After lots of elbow grease and brake cleaner blackout fests it started to look better. A quick trip in the blast cabinet and some primer/paint it was done.

Im cheap so I am reusing the solid rotors. Hubs got new wheel studs. Tires are going to be a skinny 33 so I think I'll be fine. If you think I'll kill a busload of nuns I'll up my insurance. It's cheaper than new rotors and calipers. Fastest I drive in this truck is 45. The 4 speed doesn't like 55.

·
Premium Member
29,407 Posts
new rotors are $7-15 each on rock auto, might as well at least replace them :flipoff2: with new rotors and pads, they should last much longer than running new pads on old rotors.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Im not too worried about it. The pads will seat themselves quickly with some liberal brake applications. Besides, I have high performance calipers for this build. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Caliper rebuild kits for my Brembo calipers. :flipoff2:

Advanced Auto part number in case anyone needs it.

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Keep the pics coming, i would much rather read stuff like this than some ultra 4 car built out of unobtanium! Ive been wondering what you were doing with the arms!

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
new rotors are $7-15 each on rock auto, might as well at least replace them :flipoff2: with new rotors and pads, they should last much longer than running new pads on old rotors.
This

If this guy is telling you are being cheap, then you know you are being way too big of a cheap ass!!

·
Registered
780 Posts
This

If this guy is telling you are being cheap, then you know you are being way too big of a cheap ass!!
:laughing::laughing:

16.15 each for fj vented rotors on rock auto. Iirc you can reuse your 2wd calipers on them too. Talk about a cheap!

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Sub'd. I'm on here everyday, two or three times at a minimum. Yeah, I know. I need to find something else to do.:flipoff2: Anyway, always interested in learning/seeing different ideas, variations, and general wtf everybody else is doing. Keep it coming.

Edit: +1 for shackle reversal. :flipoff2:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts