Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ah yall can flame me if yall want. I've always been a Dodge owner,still am. The truck I'm driving now needs a motor built badly,I figured why other with that wimpy two wheel drive truck. I've been looking for a 4 wheel drive truck,moreless any make or model(even though my pappy ain't to happy :flipoff2: ) I'll be driving whatever I get everyday to school and work,on the weekends,weekend wheeling and all that good junk. I'm building a trail rig,1 tons,44s etc with a Dodge truck,but God only knows when it'll be done..lost modivation in it. :shaking:

I seen a Scout II for sale and I've been thinking seriously about it. It's a stocker :barf: with street tires..but that can all change. I've noticed that there ain't hardly a damn thing for these ole IHs. What I was figuring is if I got the Scout,it would have to have at least 35s on it. I know yall boys got some really nice trucks,I was wondering what all yall used to lift one? Seeing how I don't know shit about these Scouts,could yall possibly inform me on some of the things that are avaliable,companies that deal with IHs etc? Just anything that could help a ole boy that don't know anything about IHs to learn and know more about them. Thanks in advance for any help. Otherwise *flame on* :flipoff2:

Jimmy

·
Registered
138 Posts
Thr ffirst thing you need to find out is what year is the scout you are looking at. The second is how much rust does it have? Scouts can be reliable and strong trucks if the previous owner took care of it correctly. As with anything of this age they have their problems. There is plenty of aftermarket out there for the scouts. They really dont need much to be a good driver or trail rig. 35's ar not hard to get on a scout and they look great with that set up. good luck and if you have any question fell free to ask. take care. -Josh

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Solid Scout with 304/727 auto/dana20/dana 44's front and rear(rear has factory traction lock), power steering and brakes, has factory A/C but no belt on compressor. Bright yellow paint, has factory seats with wet okole seat covers and factory rear seat. Factory carpet set and console. Hurculined rear cargo area, beneath the seat, on the sides, and all the way back. Has new CD player and speakers. Runs good and has new dual exhaust and starter. Chrome wheels with street tires, would make a nice daily driver. Asking $2,800 obo

Thats the ad for the truck,if that would help any. What all would need to be done to get 33-35s under it and be able to flex but still be a nice daily driver? I'd want some kinda roll cage because I know that top would be off a good bit. What about heaters in these puppies? I'm not a fan of freezing my ass off so I like a good heater :grinpimp: Thanks

Jimmy

·
Registered
8,018 Posts
Easy...SOA and Sawzall

or....

Easier

4" lift and MORE SAWZALL!!!

It's no more hard then lifting anything else. Sure there is no Black Diamond coil kit for it, but there are lift springs that "bolt on" As for cages, if your looking for a kit, try D & C Extreme. I have always found a working Scout II heater is enough to drive even the most cold blooded out, course I drive a diesel Scoutand it gets nice and warm just from the engine.

Good luck with it!
Carl

·
Registered
73 Posts
Must be the new CD player and speakers that added the extra $2000 to the price tag, or could it be the chrome wheels. :flipoff2:

Factory Air with no belt = doesn't work
Factory carpet set = Rusted floorboards
factory seats with wet okole seat covers = seats are trashed
rear has factory traction lock = clutches way gone
Solid Scout = lots-o-rust
Price tag = keep looking

Heaters will run you out.
35's will fit with a sawzall and stock springs.

·
Registered
14,282 Posts
supaphat said:
35's will fit with a sawzall and stock springs.
If you don't mind not being able to turn.

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
SOA and no sawsall. That is what I have on my truck. The PO added extra leaves in the back so they are stiff and don't flex as well.

Look it over carefully in the places others have mentioned for rust.

As for "I've noticed that there ain't hardly a damn thing for these ole IHs" you just aren't looking. Binders are sort of a cult. Underground if you will. There are lots of places for parts, new and used. You just have to know where to look.

·
Premium Member
5,014 Posts
Urban Wheeler said:
As for "I've noticed that there ain't hardly a damn thing for these ole IHs" you just aren't looking. Binders are sort of a cult. Underground if you will. There are lots of places for parts, new and used. You just have to know where to look.
I'll agree with that, the more your into Scouts (and hang out on the internet) the more you find just how many parts really are out there (and how many aren't).

Why 35's?? Coming from a "full-size" crowd I can understand a little, 35's are common and easy to fit. On a "stock" scout, I personally think a 33 looks just about right for a "multi-purpose" rig, and fit with less work while still allowing good articulation.

Fastest way: 4" spring lift, 1" body lift. Then spend the rest of your money fixing all the little things that are going to be wrong with a 35+ year old truck: brakes, steering, body bushings etc. Spend a little time/money doing the little things now and it will be easier to go to down on it later. Get it to solid, daily-driver condition THEN start lifting, my $.02

Pull those carpets up QUICK, look for rusty floor boards and body mounts and fix them first, they will only get worse over time. Repair parts are available, and not that expensive. A solid scout is easier to build and live with over time. Also, fix the mounts before you take the top off... the top will help keep everything solid as you hack.

Also check the spring mounts. Time and abuse may have cracked them in the front. Reinforce or rebuild them after a good cleaning and inspection.

Also check out the Binder Bulletin (www.binderbulletin.org) for good general information and additional assistance getting it reliable and finding parts. They have a good classifieds as well.

·
Registered
453 Posts
scouts

hey man, you should come down to one of the caos meetings in b'ham. give big dave a hollar, he can tell you about scouts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts