Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Batteries are mounted in rear and winch is in the front...could i run the winch using the alternator as a power source or do i need to run 0 guage the legth of my truck?

thxs in advance..also anyone know where to get some "connectors" of some sort as i want to use my winch front and rear so will need to disconnect and re-connect often...

kj

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
Here are the specs for a Warn M8000

12V DC PERFORMANCE SPECS:

Line PullLbs.............................amps
0............................................80 amps
2000......................................200 amps
4000.....................................285 amps
6000.....................................350 amps
8000.....................................435 amps

So if you had a 200 amp alt you could pull 2000lbs.

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
Look in tow truck supply places for the connectors. Somebody posted a link a while ago for a caatalog, but I can't remember what it was.

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
And figuring i have stalled jeeps from winching too much (killed the battery, even with upping the idle to 3k rpm)... I would say no... now if you were running 0 Gague to the alternator from the battery, and then 0 gague from the alternator to the winch.. i think you would be in less trouble.

Garrett

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
ok, think of your batery as a bucket: it has a certain capacity. think of your alternator as a hose going into the bucket. now picture the winch being a hole in the botom of the bucket.

your winch (hole) will drain the bat (bucket), the alt (hose ) is there to try to keep thebat charged (bucket full). so, if your alt puts out more amperage than the winch is drawing, the the bat stays fully charged, if the winch draws more than the alt can put out then it drains the bat, how long it takes to completely drain it depends on how big of a batery you have, but if its a realy big bat it'll take longer to recharge before being at full capacity. just like if you had a big bucket you could drain it for a while befor being empty, but it would take a while to re fill it.

now. as far as all of this go's, id run heavy wire to the bat for the winch (400+ amp draw), then run a suitably sized cable from the bat to the alt.

hopefully this simplified it enough for any one to understand.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the help...shopping for connectors now. Is bigger not better in this case. Ive found some Warn connectors that are rated at 175 amps...but what about the 350 amp connectors listed above - wouldnt that allow my winch to *pull more current?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
bronczilla said:
Damn dude, thats a good way to explain it. I feel smarter now.:D
yha, it takes a lot of un educating your self to be able simplify some stuff to the point even my old lady can understand it.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
BayAreaWheeler said:
Ive found some Warn connectors that are rated at 175 amps...but what about the 350 amp connectors listed above - wouldnt that allow my winch to *pull more current?
no, it would alow more current to pass before melting down.
you need to determin the actual load you are going to pull. in the case of a winch you need to figure atleast 400a. the better quality conecters will have a rating for continus vs intermitent. you want to get one that will be the constant current capability.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts