Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to see pics of what you guys have done with your average 2 car residential garage. Ideas for tool storage, workbenches, bender locations, stock storage, space utilization. I've barely got enough room to work on the Jeep. It doesn't help that there's a big support post right in the center. The frustrating thing is, I'll clean it up, start working on a project, and by the time I'm finished I'm tripping over shit and I can't find half my tools in the clutter. Yeah, I'm a pig - so what! Just looking for ideas.

·
Man Child
24,725 Posts
I don't have a pic handy but the garage is the work area. The truck stays in the driveway when I'm working on it (we have sun most of the year). At the end of the day everything gets put away and the garage gets swept out. It doesn't matter if I'm going right back to work in the morning or not. This makes me keep the place neat, clean and orderly.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
My garage. Single car, fullsize milling mach. arc welder on wheels, industrial band saw on wheels, lots of shelves and some steel storage (floor), small fridge (beer), a roller cab (not on wheels-sunk into the wall),a michinists box, AND my jeep. I have to get out just to change my mind, Ya it's tight.:D

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
opur garage was converted into a laundry room and bedroom, so im fawked and so are the neighbors resale value:flipoff2: :flipoff2:

·
Registered
6,145 Posts
My garage is pure hell right now. I usually pull something in in fall, and it doesn't leave until spring. So garage gets cleaned out once a year. Right now, tools are everywhere, can't find anything, and everything is covered in tons of grinding dust.

I'm not the only one who keeps thier garage like that, right?

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
mudtruck44 said:
[B

I'm not the only one who keeps thier garage like that, right? [/B]
My garage is a friggin nightmare. Ton's of household shit, washer and dryer in the back. My jeep has been in the garage for 3 months and there is shiat everywhere. I cannot stand it. I am rushing to get the jeep done so that I can clean the garage. I also need to sell my house soon and there is no way I can put it on the market in it's current condition. Uggh.

No contrast this with CJ66Dean's shop (he helped with a recent project). Everything has it's correct storage place. Everthing is put away at end of day. I would be totally embarassed to have him over at my garage. And no way am I posting a pic.

SeanP

·
Premium Member
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jasonmt said:
Give us a size to work with? My "Residential" Garage is 28'x30' with a 10' ceiling. I have lots of shelves that start at 7' up at the front over the bench and at the back over the doors. I still have a 10'x12' shed in the backyard for big greasy parts and my compressor.
I'm guessing (I'm at work right now) it's 20' deep X 25' wide. Pole is right in the center so I have to put the Jeep on one side or the other. the right side has an extra 3' where I have shome shelves. Left side has the work bench. Drill press, welder, toolbox, engine hoist and stand are all stored up at the front of the garage. Left side has a laundry room built up at the front.
I was kinda hoping I'd see some pics with some ideas for space utilization, but I guess we could turn this into a "my garage is worse than yours" thread :D I'll post a pic tonight.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
my garage is probably 23' deep by 25' wide I'd guess. I redid the space above it and added a folding ladder and shelves to store parts and stuff in the attic. I have considered adding a small door above the garage door to slide 20' chunks of tubing in up in the rafters. I keep it along the side of the house now, hidden by some planters. I ran electrical outlets with 4 plex outlets every 6'
down one wall with two 220 outlets fo the welder and compressor. All of the equipment gets stored alng one wall then pulled out as they are needed. I want to build an outdoor compressor shed one of these days alongside the garage. As you can see, It gets to be quite a mess during a project.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Mines about 6m x 10m -It doesnt matter how much i tidy up, it always gets back to this state in notime.

Btw that jack is my preacious, lifts 3 tons 90cm (35")

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
76Cruiser said:
Mine is a total pig sty. Can't find chit half the time. That damn grinding and chop saw dust gets everywhere!:mad:
this is a worldwide standard

2 car garage, i keep all my worthless junk in there and my $$$ cars park on the driveway in the rain. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
162 Posts
My shop/garage is a 40 x 64' pole barn, 14' ceiling, since I live in the cold parts of the USA, I need lots of insulation. No workin outdoors for me in the winter. The back half of the shop has a midlevel loft for parts storage, an office and a paint booth. The air compressor gets to stay outside on a concrete pad. The area is heated by a infloor hydronic system run off a water heater, and lighting is Metal Halide low bay warehouse lighting. I also plan on building an overhead gantry crane for lifting heavy stuff. (my back is bad) Also got some room left for a vertical mill and 9 x 40 lathe. Too many hobbies, too little time.

·
Premium Member
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
SMART ASS said:
If you reply to this post, your just asking to get ripped off...:rolleyes:
Hadn't really thought of that. My town's pretty safe, and nobody's got my address anyway. OK then - if ya don't wanna post a pic, at least ideas to make a 2 car garage more builder friendly. I'll still post one though.

·
Registered
38 Posts
LIMITED SPACE

When I built this garage , ( 14'x 16') My stock jeep fit fine . Now look what happened .:D

·
Premium Member
5,906 Posts
You need one of these

Attachments

1 - 20 of 130 Posts