Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking to pick up a set of sts's to give a good grooving to and a set of Baja claws on a buddys truck

so lets see your cut tires

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
im looking to pick up a set of sts's to give a good grooving to and a set of Baja claws on a buddys truck

so lets see your cut tires
Blaine on off-camber.com grooved his STS's up real nice. I will try and find a pic. What size STS did you pick up? What size Baja claws? on the 46s and 54's, all the Canada guys put two parallel (to the lugs) grooves in the each of the lugs. SKOP posted a pic of what I'm talking about in his GORD thread

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I cut my claws up like this we usually cut 2 parallel lines I did 3 on mine.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
38 sts and 35 claws

The claws are on a low budget truck just trying to get them to to work good for awhile

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
The above picture of Baja claw is how I was describing to groove the claws. That's how all the big time snow wheelers do it. You can buy #1 and #2 groover blades on do the 35s nice.

I will try to get a pic of the way everybody grooves the STS's for snow. So 38s are radials correct? 15" wheels? How wide of wheels you going to mount them on? I think you're going to love them once you get em grooved

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Supposed to be 12 wides im pretty sure theyre bias but i honestly dodnt even check. Didnt know they cam anytjing other than bias. I got a whole assortment of blades

Yup theyre radials

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
My 54" snow cut claws

image.jpg

·
Registered
300 Posts
40" Toyo MT's 6 Ply Then I will have them siped almost all the way across.

·
Registered
300 Posts
On the claws what about doing a single 1/2" wide groove down the center of each block? Does anyone just sipe the tire and try them?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
On the claws what about doing a single 1/2" wide groove down the center of each block? Does anyone just sipe the tire and try them?
Ive never heard of that technique but I guess if you wanted to try that you could but we find with 2 small grooves atleast per lug seems to grab the snow really well.:smokin:

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
how do the toyo's work?

·
Registered
300 Posts
I'm not sure how the Toyo's work yet. Will be going out next month and a lot this spring so I'll keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Any reason you went with such wide grooves instead of narrower ones?
Well figuring that around 50/50 Tread to Void ratio should work good and the fact that IROK'S work so good. IROK'S have some pretty big voids. I did start with 1/4" and they looked small, they left a lot of tread remaining. I thought they would plug up quicker with wet snow maybe, and mud. I was going to do 1/4" in the center but again even with the 1/2" there is still a lot of tread left. I offset the outsides mainly for the best sidehill. As the material leaves one groove it will be caught by the next offset groove. We will see what happens and hopefully it works cause grooving up $2000 worth of tires is crazy and a lot of work.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Interested to see how these work. How much pavement will they see?
They will be driven to and from the trail. Usually around 75 miles one way but it seems I usually only put on around 2-3k miles a year. It's only 200 horse so it doesn't seem to wear tires down that fast. Im not crazy spinning on rocks or anything either. I also have a set of 37's I run in the summer time usually also.

1 - 20 of 147 Posts