Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
12,268 Posts
so this was the case on the last snow run. everybody was on 42" tires or bigger and the snow was the worst ive ever seen - straight sugar, literally would not pack whatsoever. I had a horrible day, I was literally getting stuck in my buddies tracks. didn't matter if I tried to creep or bounce off the rev limiter, I struggled.

big tires are more better
Nothing worse than getting all pumped to go to the snow and it's pure sugar. That was pretty much every trip in my wheeler last year. I got so frustrated I didn't go to the snow from like Feb-may.

I'm curious to hear about the sts'

·
Registered
388 Posts
Looking for grooving ideas for the TruXus STS. I have a set of the 44"x21" that need more traction. Not afraid of getting creative either. They are strictly snow tires nothing else.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Looking for grooving ideas for the TruXus STS. I have a set of the 44"x21" that need more traction. Not afraid of getting creative either. They are strictly snow tires nothing else.
I'd suggest adding more siping in addition to or instead of grooving for those STS Swampers.

Regardless please let us know what you did and how it worked.

Cheers D

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
Nothing worse than getting all pumped to go to the snow and it's pure sugar. That was pretty much every trip in my wheeler last year. I got so frustrated I didn't go to the snow from like Feb-may.

I'm curious to hear about the sts'
dude, worst snow day I've had. if sugar snow was the only type of snow, I'd move to AZ and become a rock crawler :laughing:

The Trxus STS are by far the best snow tire made 39.5" and under, IMO there's nothing that compares. if I was looking for snow wheeling tires, 40" and under, I'd buy the STS hands down. The only STS I wouldn't buy would be the 33x13.5 bias version due to the stiff bias sidewalls.

I'd groove them just like blaine did his and then add a bunch of cuts in the lugs w/ the rotation of the tire for lateral traction like the guys down in the blues do :smokin:

·
Registered
12,268 Posts
dude, worst snow day I've had. if sugar snow was the only type of snow, I'd move to AZ and become a rock crawler :laughing:

The Trxus STS are by far the best snow tire made 39.5" and under, IMO there's nothing that compares. if I was looking for snow wheeling tires, 40" and under, I'd buy the STS hands down. The only STS I wouldn't buy would be the 33x13.5 bias version due to the stiff bias sidewalls.

I'd groove them just like blaine did his and then add a bunch of cuts in the lugs w/ the rotation of the tire for lateral traction like the guys down in the blues do :smokin:
I know a ton of people who don't get snow wheeling, I used to not like it. I tell people the absolute best times wheeling I've had were in the snow but the absolute worst times I've had wheelin where also in the snow. :laughing:

I have only seen like 2 guys with the 44s and never seen them work. The problem for me is they would only be a snow tire, I wouldn't want those things to touch a rock.

Have you seen anyone with the 38 or 40 geolander yet?

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
I know a ton of people who don't get snow wheeling, I used to not like it. I tell people the absolute best times wheeling I've had were in the snow but the absolute worst times I've had wheelin where also in the snow. :laughing:

I have only seen like 2 guys with the 44s and never seen them work. The problem for me is they would only be a snow tire, I wouldn't want those things to touch a rock.

They are strictly snow tire, but I wouldn’t be afraid to buy a set of 36 or 38” radials and drive them on the street to the snow. The 2 ply sidewalls are extremely soft and do have me somewhat worried. Don’t have to worry about those with the 39 or 44” bias versions.

Only person I’ve seen run the geolanders is Wilson...

·
Registered
12,268 Posts
They are strictly snow tire, but I wouldn’t be afraid to buy a set of 36 or 38” radials and drive them on the street to the snow. The 2 ply sidewalls are extremely soft and do have me somewhat worried. Don’t have to worry about those with the 39 or 44” bias versions.

Only person I’ve seen run the geolanders is Wilson...
Ya, street driving should be fine. I was talking about summer time.

Ya, I was with him the one trip they were out. They seemed pretty damn good. The guy who bought them loves them also, but I haven't seen him in the snow with them.

·
Registered
5,298 Posts

Geolandars have been discontinued :(. My TSL radials are 2ply and work very well.

·
Registered
12,268 Posts
Ended up getting some (7!) 39.5 Boggers in a trade for a very good value. I've ran Boggers before and never been a fan of them in any terrain I wheel in. But since I currently only have some 35" tall creepy crawlers and some stickie bfgs, these may be what I end up running this winter. 2 put of 3 of the lugs were already cut so I followed that and then did the typical zigzag on the biggest lug. Not sure why I busted out the 1" wide blade on the little lug, it already had a cut right on the middle, so fuck it.

These cuts are to get the massive lugs to flex, I'm thinking about ordering some very thin blades to go across the lug to possibly gain more snow and ice grip.

Also, I'm trying to trade them for something better :flipoff2:

You can see in the bottom right where my 5yr old was helping "make it bumpy!" :laughing:

I was thinking about getting these to do a few cuts width wise. Or should I go a little wider like 1/8-1/4"?

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
I have those little skinny blades. You can only go so deep before they fold over on themselves due to the heat/size of them. I think 2 side to side grooves on the big lugs and 1 side to side groove on the small lugs w/ 1/8” would help a lot. The more biting edges the better. I wouldn’t be afraid to cut a new “face” on all the lugs too.... taking weight off so you can spin them faster lol

·
Registered
92 Posts
I like my number 2 blade 2/32 I believe on my ideal groover for snow grooving. It’s kinda like a heavy sipe. Tire can flex and gives a biting edge but leaves tread behind too.

·
Registered
12,268 Posts
Ah, well you guys were too slow and I already ordered them along with an 1/8" pack. :flipoff2: My buddy lets me borrow his $400 Allstar instant heat (fucker cuts 1"x1" chunks like nothing :grinpimp:) groover so I like to give it back with extra blades.

I figured the 1/32" blade wouldn't be able to cut full tread depth, but sipes don't really need to be that deep. I'll mess with it when i get the blades. Maybe 1 1/8" through the middle of the lugs and a 1/32" on either side.

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
Ah, well you guys were too slow and I already ordered them along with an 1/8" pack. :flipoff2: My buddy lets me borrow his $400 Allstar instant heat (fucker cuts 1"x1" chunks like nothing :grinpimp:) groover so I like to give it back with extra blades.

I figured the 1/32" blade wouldn't be able to cut full tread depth, but sipes don't really need to be that deep. I'll mess with it when i get the blades. Maybe 1 1/8" through the middle of the lugs and a 1/32" on either side.
Same groover I use, only way to go! Post up pics when you’re done

·
Registered
12,268 Posts

Went a little crazy, very time consuming :laughing: hopefully they don't disintegrate on the first trip.

The 1/8" are full depth and the sipes are about 1/4" worked great.

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
I'm think'n of siping my TSL's for the weekend but I don't know the best tool for the job. I have a sawsall and a skillsaw... Think'n just set the depth and drop the skillsaw in, no problem?

I have cleaned up the leading edge of my dirtbike tires for years with a grooving tool (borrowed) and have had some lugs tear completely off. The grooving tool I have borrowed in the past had a rounded blade on the bottom. The skillsaw or sawsall would leave a 90 deg. edge that would increase the chance of tearing the lugs off. Right?

Maybe a hot blade in a utility knife?
I can post a pic. of the lugs if needed.

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
I'm think'n of siping my TSL's for the weekend but I don't know the best tool for the job. I have a sawsall and a skillsaw... Think'n just set the depth and drop the skillsaw in, no problem?

I have cleaned up the leading edge of my dirtbike tires for years with a grooving tool (borrowed) and have had some lugs tear completely off. The grooving tool I have borrowed in the past had a rounded blade on the bottom. The skillsaw or sawsall would leave a 90 deg. edge that would increase the chance of tearing the lugs off. Right?

I would try and find a groover if you can. flip the blades over and you get 2 sipes per cut. I use my buddies all-star groover...

·
Registered
12,268 Posts

Skill saw would be *ok* for cutting the middle lugs in half.

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
I put new TSL's on my Jeep this year. I have 6 snow runs on them and was not impressed with them so I bought an Ideal grooving tool and started grooving today. Here are some pics of the results and visual comparison of the TSL vs. Irok:

IROK 39.5x1350x15 radial
0 PSI 29" long 17-1/4" wide at 0 PSI

TSL 15x39.5x15 bias
0 PSI 23-3/4" long 19" wide at 0 PSI

0 PSI.jpg

IROK - 1 PSI 28-3/4" long
TSL - 1 PSI 23" long

IROK - 2 PSI 26-3/4" long
TSL - 2 PSI 22-1/4" long

2 PSI.jpg

So...I haven't wheeled the TSL since I grooved them, maybe they will break down a little more after this weekend. 2600/2800 lb rig on 15x10 wheels

41 - 60 of 147 Posts