·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The more detailed the better!!

·
Registered
778 Posts
This is the setup on my in-law's K5. The 2 large forklift style tanks sit in a "box" down through the floor. The fuel lines run through conduit downd the framerail to the engine compartment. Sorry, I really don't have any detailed pics.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Back from the dead. I am gonna redo my tank mounts because the forklift style are taking up too much space in the back of my truggy. I would like to mount them horizontally like they are now, just turn them sideways and make a single mount for two tanks. I know I have seen countless buildup threads that people have done that have great ideas, but I cannot find the threads anymore.

Here is one I found by Muddyblzr:

link: http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9787814&postcount=185

I like that setup, just want to see others.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Here's my dd setup. It's hinged in the back so the tanks can be lowered and the valves can be serviced. In the upper position the valves are just above and behind the axle. I've got skid plates under and in front of the tanks.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Here's my dd setup. It's hinged in the back so the tanks can be lowered and the valves can be serviced. In the upper position the valves are just above and behind the axle. I've got skid plates under and in front of the tanks.

Interesting. Any other pics? I am drawing up something in CAD to cut on my table, I just wanted to see some other ideas. I have come across another thread, but the custom mounts were for holding the tanks vertically.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
now that is exactly what i am aiming for. I want to build a small cargo rack to put above them. it appears that yours hinges toward the front, but how does it latch? it almost looks like it uses the standard forklift latch.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I got the new dirt sports mag today and there is an ad with a F-toy in it with the # 13fu on the side. is that mustard dog? It looks like they made a custom dual horizontal tank mount in the pic. anyone have any other pics of this setup? i'll have to search for a build thread.

·
Registered
8,358 Posts
I got the new dirt sports mag today and there is an ad with a F-toy in it with the # 13fu on the side. is that mustard dog? It looks like they made a custom dual horizontal tank mount in the pic. anyone have any other pics of this setup? i'll have to search for a build thread.
Yeah, #13FU is Mustard Dog's F-Toy :lmao: Though he was running #66 in the KOH race this year.

There are a couple of pics in his build thread, probably some more other places but you can search for more yourself.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=298203&highlight=chassis&page=13

·
H M F
4,364 Posts
now that is exactly what i am aiming for. I want to build a small cargo rack to put above them. it appears that yours hinges toward the front, but how does it latch? it almost looks like it uses the standard forklift latch.
Yep, using the cam latch from the regular forklift mounts, and I cut up the straps from those same mounts for an easy match on the tanks radius for the contact pads.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
This is what I have so far. The red circles around the black ones are to check to see if the dimple dies will clear one another. The upper piece has the notches for the rack that will go on top. The radius for the cradle is .125 oversized so I can put some .125 flat stock on similar to the forklift setup. I suppose when I cut it and get further I will post pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Daang.. I haven't been on the stinky juice since '06.. :)

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Very nice, spidr.

Cooler mount on top?

·
Registered
12,251 Posts
Thanks guys. Its set up for a cooler mount/storage rack, basically whatever fits his purposes well.

·
HARDliner
2,110 Posts
I'll play...here is what PJ came up with for me. The tanks slide down a center rail and are held in by one large wing nut that clamps the curved bar down between them. The basket above the tank area (the aluminum floor is not on the basket in the pics) is hinged and then slides to the side into a pin to hold it up during tank changes.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
I built mine, not nearly as bling as the rest but built it all with a portaband with scrap laying around. I was happy to have 0 bucks tied up in my tank mounts.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts