Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 4th Annual Poteau Thanksgiving Run won't happen... Due to the local hunting club declining to renew our lease, we have been shut out of the Poteau Mountain wheeling area. Vaughn asked me to post this, said he and Tim are working to try to find a suitable replacement for the loss of Poteau Mountain so we can resume the Thanksgiving Run next year.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I hope its not for good. I respect those guys fro letting us wheel Poteau Mountain for all these years since they pay to have that lease and dont charge us anything to wheel...

There are a lot of good memories for me there. I have been wheeling Poteau Mountain for about 16 years now...

Keep us posted. Thanks Beast...

JOSH

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
get in contact with the actual land owner, not the club that leases it, and he may also lease it to you for the few days of the run.

I doubt the hunt club OWNS the land, they most likely lease it, and legally, they probably can't re-lease it to you (called subletting), but the actual land owner can.

it happens all the time here, we lease land to hunt on, and during hunting season, the logging company comes in and logs part of it out. Same deal...land owner gave them permission, and since very few leases have an exclusivity clause (especially for hunting), if the land owner wants to let you use it, the hunt club can't stop him.

·
Moderating Midget
27,537 Posts
Smartest thing would not to expect to hold a run during hunting season itself.....

Seems like they would try to hold all the fun-runs in the area that was leased by a hunting club during the off-season.

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
Well...I expect to be there this T-giving just like always. I guess we will just run Cavenau. It just sucks that we are even losing private land. See there for turkey day...right Josh??

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I doubt the hunt club OWNS the land, they most likely lease it, and legally, they probably can't re-lease it to you (called subletting), but the actual land owner can.
What they have been doing is Tim or Vaughn, or both, buy a membership ( @ $1500 per) to get a key, members have been ok with this... supposedly, at some time, "jeeps" (one or more, dont know) ran through some hunters yard who had sown some rye grass to attract deer, tore it all up. Sounds kinda fishy to me, cuz I dont recall anybody having a "yard" that could be driven through over there... :shaking:

Green Bay Packing supposedly owns the land... the other story I have heard is that THEY told the hunt club "no 4x4x, no horses, no ATVs (ATVs allowed during hunting season only for removing the kill)" because of "liability issues". That could be true, but I believe that it is the woman who actually leases the land from GBP that is the culprit...

·
Registered
631 Posts
ok, So poteau Mountain is closed, is there more than one area to wheel in Poteau? I would hope there is, if not... Don't you all think it might be time to organize and see what we as a comunity can do to keep lands open? It seems like the general population of PBB is concerned most about the land issues in Cali, but what about the lands in other regeons? The mid west, South east, north east, the great white north, etc etc.

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
ok, So poteau Mountain is closed, is there more than one area to wheel in Poteau? I would hope there is, if not... Don't you all think it might be time to organize and see what we as a comunity can do to keep lands open? It seems like the general population of PBB is concerned most about the land issues in Cali, but what about the lands in other regeons? The mid west, South east, north east, the great white north, etc etc.

x2
Those of us who have wheeled Poteau for years knew it was just a matter of time before we lost it. The problem is that everything we wheel there is private property. In order to save it, we will need to organize and buy a large portion. The good news is that there are good places to wheel and good trails everywhere in that area, lots of them have been forgotten or have grown over, but the terrain all around that part of Oklahoma is gerat for trails. We just need the land.......

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cavanaugh Hill is still open, but not enough trails to make it suitable to host a large-scale event... so, Thanksgiving in Poteau is OFF for this year...

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Very unfortunate. By far one of my favorite places to wheel in OK.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Poteau Mtn. was a very cool place to wheel! There will be many cool obstacles that will be missed. Washout, 8 Seconds, Snowball, Rollercam, the Rockpile. So many memories...but that is all they are now. It is only right when I finally get old enough to build my own rig, that it shuts down! Well back to Cavannal Hill. I'm sure Tim and Vaughn and the Poteau crew will be able to find another hot spot. Atleast I hope that they are able to. I loved wheeling Poteau, even more than Clayton or Talihina (Frielings).

I know that there is a crew from OKC going down this weekend, or tomorrow. I'm not sure how many, but i'm guessing no more than 25. With the Texas and Arkansas rigs that will come in though, Cavannal Hill could be quite busy!

Have fun and be careful.

Please post some pics! There aren't ever any pics posted from Poteau.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Poteau Mtn. was a very cool place to wheel! There will be many cool obstacles that will be missed. Washout, 8 Seconds, Snowball, Rollercam, the Rockpile. So many memories...but that is all they are now. It is only right when I finally get old enough to build my own rig, that it shuts down! Well back to Cavannal Hill. I'm sure Tim and Vaughn and the Poteau crew will be able to find another hot spot. Atleast I hope that they are able to. I loved wheeling Poteau, even more than Clayton or Talihina (Frielings).

I know that there is a crew from OKC going down this weekend, or tomorrow. I'm not sure how many, but i'm guessing no more than 25. With the Texas and Arkansas rigs that will come in though, Cavannal Hill could be quite busy!

Have fun and be careful.

Please post some pics! There aren't ever any pics posted from Poteau.

And No-Mercy!!! I have had plenty carnage there and all over Poteau Mnt... I love that area,,,:(

JOSH

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
My bad..I totally forgot about No Mercy. When my family got out of wheeling in 97-98, No Mercy was the "way to extreme" challenge. I watched many go up to the ledges, but not much past that.

Bellboy, do you have a link to those pics.

I should be getting back to wheeling next year. Poteau is one of the first places I plan on going. I only hope that my 37's will hold up there.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts