Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about buying a square body. It is a 1988 CCLB V3500. It would be sight unseen due to distance. I have owned Chevys but not this old.

Looking for advice or things to ask about before I travel. Everything below is based on what the owner has told me and the pictures I have seen.

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Truck Vehicle

It has a 60 in the front with a 14Bff with discs in the rear and a NP205. Both diffs open. Owner doesn't know the ratios but says it'll do 90 on the highway.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

Automotive tire Black Vehicle Tire Bumper

Vehicle Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

According to the owner, it has been LS swapped with a 6.0 (LQ4, I guess) and has a 4L80E. Says it has a 6" rough country lift. 16.5" wheels with 37s. Cruise works. Stock gauges all work. One ECM to control motor and tranny.

Automotive tire Wood Tread Motor vehicle Bumper

Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive lighting

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle door Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior

The owner says a previous owner did the swap and says he doesn't know the history of the motor. Says the motor doesn't burn or leak oil.

Has been repainted but not a frame off.

The interior is original-ish but the HVAC looks to have been replaced with a vintage air system. Is this a problem or especially good/bad?

[see next post for interior pictures]

I am a little worried about the sag of the passenger rear door. I've seen the youtube mechanics doing hinge/bushing repairs on squares and it doesn't seem that bad.

What else should I look for? Anyone see something in these pictures that should be a big red flag?

Thanks

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rear door sag I noticed is here:

Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

·
blatant asshole
13,121 Posts
Mostly look very close to the steering box section of the frame but its generaly not an issue on 1t chassis.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mostly look very close to the steering box section of the frame but its generaly not an issue on 1t chassis.
Thanks. The badge actually says Sierra 2500. Hopefully, the steering is still better than a 1/2 ton.

Grille Font Rectangle Brick Automotive lighting

·
blatant asshole
13,121 Posts
Crews are a 1t chassis for both

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
Very nice rig! But it appears to be a converted dually. The rear is not a 14bolt. 14 bolt has a bolt on pinion. This rig looks like it has a dually D70. The hubs stick out a mile. The front D60 has stubby hubs like a dually. Running the numbers on the head. It appears to be a 6.0. The tires are junk military extras. Vintage air is very good.

·
Premium Member
988 Posts
that looks like a dually front axle cause of hubs not sticking out. wheels are prime/hummer 16.5x8.25 with like 7" backspace. nice looking truck

·
Registered
21 Posts
The only thing I can think of saying is post here for a recommendation to a good shop in the area where the seller is. Talk to the shop. Find out how much for a pre-purchase inspection. Then arrange with the seller to get it inspected at your expense. Then you will know if you want it or not and if it needs fixing the cost to do so.

Trust me, a good inspection can save your butt. Especially with a unknown engine history. You don't want to find out after buying that it has a compression issue...

And if the seller will not agree to an inspection by a shop, well what does that tell you.

Always be willing to walk away. Never buy it just becouse you really want it. Know what you are getting into.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Ask the seller if he'll send you a pic of the vin or at least the none serial number part. That will tell you exactly what this truck is and where it was built. If it was built in salt country I would be worried about cab corners and floorboards.

It's either 1 ton with a 3/4 ton badges or they put a 3/4 on a 1 ton 4x4 frame. The first part of the vin will say.

·
Vendor
1,013 Posts
It has our steering, engine crossmember and looks like brake lines. Not sure what else but there are a few parts you know where they came from.

The dually axle thing is definitely something you should know about. That setup requires pretty specific and relatively uncommon wheels and you're likely not going to want to run 16.5s forever.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts