Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my housing, hubs, and knuckles down to the powder coaters and they made a boo boo. They bead blasted the entire housing ends and all. Will having the ends rough mess with the seal that the felt makes between the knuckle and the housing? Will I have to polish the ends so that they are smooth again? Can I just paint the entire housing and all?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I took them to International Paint Spraying in Santa Clara (DON'T EVER USE THEM!!!!!)

The axle I got had been sitting under a truck that hadn't moved in close to 10 years. It was covered in rust and caked with probably every substance known to man. They bead blasted off all of the rust and the powder coating was reasonably cheap.

·
Registered
24,641 Posts
So did I understand you correctly? They beadblasted the knuckle "balls"??? (hehe I said balls)

How much pitting does bead blasting cause? is it like 80 grit sandpaper or relativly smooth?

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Should have taped up the ends before you sent it off to them. That way you are garunteed they wont mess with anything you dont want done. If left the way it is you will probably go threw seals quicker and either way it is going to leak alot easier.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So did I understand you correctly? They beadblasted the knuckle "balls"??? (hehe I said balls)
Yes you are correct.

Should have taped up the ends before you sent it off to them.
You know what they say about hindsight... I talked with the shop manager and told him EXACTLY what I wanted to have done.

Sandblasting would have killed it but you might be somewhat okay with just the beadblasting.
That's what I'm hoping, I may try and polish them up a bit.

·
Banned
5,353 Posts
Wow sinds like its gonna look purdy for cruising the local mall, too bad you only went in to try and save the axles now you have wasted time and money but all learn from mistakes thank you for making the mistake so I wont :D

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sure you cam.... $100 for bead blasting and powder coating of...

84 housing
knuckles
hubs
tie rod
draglink
(2) high steer arms
(4) shackles
pitman arm
front and rear Ubolt plates

Only the housing, knuckles, and hubs were bead blasted

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.