Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering what everyone is using to paint their roll cages, nerfs, bumpers etc. what lasts the longest, and is not too over priced. thanks

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Most people just paint them because they are easy to touch-up. No question the powder coating will last the longest.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Powdercoating is WAY too much bling bling, compared to some rattlecans.

Rattlecan it, and spend the money where it belongs.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I like paint only because if I have to do some welding, etc., I can just rattle can it back to like new vs. having it re powder coated. Besdes, krylon is cheap. Hammerite is good stuff as RudeZuk mentioned.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
If this is for a pretty street rig then powder coating is the way to go because it keeps it looks and is very durable if applied right. Hamerite/hammetone is the way to go if it is going to be sliding allong rock or get scrached in whatever way because it is tough but easy to touch up and is rough so the scraches are not easy to see once touched up.

·
Registered
889 Posts
No seriously.

Why powdercoat?

Looks?

Ya its more durable, but what does the lack of durability mean to the rattlcaned part? Ya, thats right, another can of paint. Whoa look, youre done, good as new. Get that nice bling bling powdercoat scratched, and you either pay the bigbucks to get it done again, or you wise up and fix the scratch with some rattlecan.

Just doesnt make much sense to me.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
powdercoat looks cool which is fine if you are a yuppie if not then rattlecan it or if your' feelin fancy then by brand name KRYLON not to mention $$$$$$ but there is a kit available to pc stuff that you can fit in your oven for relatively cheep remember seeing a write up in a 4X4 mag don't remember which one or when sorry

·
Hophead
77,670 Posts
Where do you buy Hammerite?

·
Registered
37 Posts
powdercoat sucks. If rocks etc... come is contact with it, it WILL scratch and chip. it is alot harder, but not as hard as rocks . And if you have ever tried to grind the stuff off of metal to touch it up, you will know that it is a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
yeah we have all of our towers powdercoated at work, and it's a pain in the ass when you have to get something back to fix it after it's been coated. it stinks and gets everywhere when you grind it, and stinks worse when you burn it while welding. cracks and chips fairly easy too. it's not as tough as it's made out to be.

-Scott

·
Registered
873 Posts
SCOTTS_4X said:
yeah we have all of our towers powdercoated at work, and it's a pain in the ass when you have to get something back to fix it after it's been coated. it stinks and gets everywhere when you grind it, and stinks worse when you burn it while welding. cracks and chips fairly easy too. it's not as tough as it's made out to be.

-Scott
Just use some Aircraft Coating Remover...it eats power coat alive. Spray or brush it on and it wipes off in 10min.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Mattr5150 said:
go down to wallmart and cough up the $.95 for a can of paint or go get it powdercoated for $$$$$$$$$$$$$
you gotta love wal-marts color match black paint. best .95 cents i ever spent

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Bad Azz DODGE said:
What about line-X

Powdercoating just rusts like crap....and flakes off...I HATE IT

After 7 months of use ROAD ARMOR by the way....

http://www3.telus.net/public/facerape/images/rust1.jpg

Are you fawking kidding me? Had both the front and rear axles on my Toyota powdercoated and has since lasted two years without flaking or fading for that matter! The powdercoater that did my axles did an amazing job and only charged me $90 an axle. To me, that is relatively cheap considering you'll end up buying that much in rattlecan bs. I've always maintained the mentality of doing things right the first time and not having to worry or pay for it in the future.

·
Registered
469 Posts
im suprized POR-15 hasnt come up... its more expensive than paint, but not as much as powdercoat... whether or not its a good idea, i figured i would throw that out for you guys to tear at lol

·
Registered
671 Posts
i use black bumper paint on mine. its meant for plastic bumpers that need a little give in the paint. its cheap and seems to hold up better than normal rattle can paint..
i use graphite paint on anything that contacts the umm ground or whatever.

hey in the end though having it chromed would last the longest.
peace
Jw

1 - 20 of 20 Posts