Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how easy is it to replace the master cylinder on a 68 fj40 to a newer year one or one out of a gm vehicle? thanks

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
It will be a little work to put on a GM unit. You might try doing a search here & maybe consider using a later L/C or Toyota P/U, or maybe a celica unit.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Try a Tacoma...pull the lines to...the new lines have a plastic coating and it protects the lines very well....

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
If you want to use a Toyota booster and master cylinder combo you will need an adapter. Wardens has a very nice one that mounts with 3 allen head bolts onto the stock firewall, and includes the extended pedal rod to make it work. Early 80's mini truck boosters are smaller than later Cruiser ones and will fit better. Big Cruiser boosters may cause interference with the carb linkage or the 68 air cleaner.

I made a small adapter for my 68 and picked up a manual master cylinder from a late 80's S10 and am running without a booster. I have converted to mini truck front disks and gm metric caliper disks in the rear.

I pulled the Wardens adapter and mini booster setup and sold it to make room for a TBI conversion on my 2F. Install Pics shows the Wardens setup and the adapter, S10 setup before and after I painted the firewall. Part #'s are there also.

Note: the master I used was intended to be mounted at an angle. With different reservoirs and a change to the adapter it could be mounted horizontally. I also made a nylon guide for the pedal rod. It is shaped like the bolt pattern (trangle) and has a hole directly in the center for the rod to ride. It is mounted on the inside of the firewall, on the 3 mounting bolts, using nuts and washers.

Mike "SpaceGhost" Smythe

1 - 4 of 4 Posts