Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know.....SEARCH!!!! :flipoff2:

But I'm soo confused on what to use. So I'm asking you guys.

Here is the deal. I have a '99 Cummins I use for car hauling, that I need to turn it up. I'm in SoCal, so that means traffic. A lot of stopping and starting out. I need more take off power and power across the board but I'm not trying build a huge power monster either. I want to keep it basics... box, turbo, intake, etc. .This is what I'm thinking...

Smarty S03
ATS pulse mainfold
ATS Aurora 3000 turbo
Fass lift pump
4in exhaust
injector nozzles
some type of intake

Is this a good combo? Pros/cons? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Whoa whoa whoa. Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. First things first. Do you have tow mirrors? If so are they in the extended position? Next we need to talk about wheel offset and ground effect lighting......:flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Whoa whoa whoa. Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. First things first. Do you have tow mirrors? If so are they in the extended position? Next we need to talk about wheel offset and ground effect lighting......:flipoff2:
or cut a 12" hole in your hood and run a stainless stack through it.

·
Premium Member
8,606 Posts
I put in a set of RV275 injectors & added a Smarty to my '99, woke it up quite a bit. Smarty is still available (ad should still be up in the classifieds here,) sold the truck last summer.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
What transmission? And any decent off the line power with those trucks will make them smoke like hell, but that brings attention, socal guys like attention.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's an auto, unfortunately. The trans is getting built next month. I'm trying to avoid the smoke show if at all possible

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
My FIL has a WSB from Bell Turbo, a set of 80hp injectors and an Edge comp box on his '01. It pulls his 5th wheel (~10k) really well. Very little smoke.

·
Registered
12,231 Posts
Excess fuel is what causes smoke and high egt's.

Id do the exhaust, tuner and probably the turbo. The other things arent worth the money for small power gain.

Since you're hauling you want to focus on making usable power. You could have 600hp, but if the minute you go to use it your egt's skyrocket, then it doesnt do you any good. A larger intercooler might be a good addition.

Dont just throw a bunch of parts at the truck and hope for the best. Start with the exhaust and tuner, see what that does and how it tows. To me the next step would be the turbo. I think the tuner will give more than enough fuel, so adding air is best.

And remember, turning up a diesel engine reduces its life. I dont give a shit what anyone says. Sure Ive always run mine hot and hard and have only had one failure because of an injector, but the down time plus the rebuild has cost me a lot.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My FIL has a WSB from Bell Turbo, a set of 80hp injectors and an Edge comp box on his '01. It pulls his 5th wheel (~10k) really well. Very little smoke.
Sounds like the set up I'm looking for

Excess fuel is what causes smoke and high egt's.

Id do the exhaust, tuner and probably the turbo. The other things arent worth the money for small power gain.

Since you're hauling you want to focus on making usable power. You could have 600hp, but if the minute you go to use it your egt's skyrocket, then it doesnt do you any good. A larger intercooler might be a good addition.

Dont just throw a bunch of parts at the truck and hope for the best. Start with the exhaust and tuner, see what that does and how it tows. To me the next step would be the turbo. I think the tuner will give more than enough fuel, so adding air is best.

And remember, turning up a diesel engine reduces its life. I dont give a shit what anyone says. Sure Ive always run mine hot and hard and have only had one failure because of an injector, but the down time plus the rebuild has cost me a lot.
I'm on the same line of thinking. I need it to last but I need more power. Not tractor pulling, smoke belching power but a decent increase without killing it.

Thanks for the tips so far

·
Registered
964 Posts
The edge comp box works really well on those trucks, have had two 24v with the comp box. The Smarty does not tap into the wire that controls the duration of the injection event on the VP44 pump, where as the Edge box does. Makes the difference between a 50hp box and the edge which will get you around 120hp worth of fuel.

Then RV275 injectors would work well with an upgraded turbo for towing, I'm not sure how ATS sizes there aurora turbos but something around a 62/65/14 would be excellent for tow performance. 62mm being the compressor wheel, 65mm the turbine wheel, and 14 being the exhaust housing size in cm. Also with a 62mm compressor the injector size could be stepped up to around a 100hp injector which is a 7x.009". 7 holes with a .009" size.

These guys sell some aftermarket all new injectors for an awesome price, I bought a set in 2014 for my 99 in a 7x.012" and they worked flawlessly. Here is a link to a set of 100hp injectors.

Diesel Auto Power 100HP Aftermarket Performance Injectors 7x0.009 SAC - VP7X9SAC100A - Diesel Auto Power, LLC

Also #1 priority for the VP44 is making sure it has a good fuel supply, I am partial to the FASS fuel systems. A FASS titanium 150gph setup would be a good choice.

·
Registered
132 Posts
ive built 3 VP powered trucks in the past, take it for what you may but my last rig hauled 22k over the donnor pass at 63mph with 38in tires, it was a torque monster and very little smoke.

Forget the manifold, you have a decent one for stock -500ish hp.

Super B turbo, 57/65/12. Spools super fast and is a decent upgrade over stock, you will not make big power on this charger but it will flatout work and it a ton of fun in stop and go. I ran a 63/68/14 and it was a pig in traffic even with 7x10 SAC injectors. I know it sounds small but if your serious about towing and that off the line power the bigger compressors just take longer to spool. Ive ran a couple different turbos and for towing/traffic id take the super b every damn time.

Edge comp box, forget the smarty its a total smoke show on any level that actually gives power, plus it fucks with the throttle percentages not awesome for a daily/tow pig

If you have money left over get a decent quality injector in the 80-120hp range, you can turn the box down and let the injectors do the fueling while towing and then overfuel for fun whenever. My super b took a week with the 150s with the wiretap on 5x5 and man it was a ton of fun from 0-60ish, after that i was way over-fueling it and it was too small to keep up.

As everyone said you need to build that 47re, its not a matter of if its a matter of when it will shit the box. Billet input, triple disk converter, and valvebody should be a minimum.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
ive built 3 VP powered trucks in the past, take it for what you may but my last rig hauled 22k over the donnor pass at 63mph with 38in tires, it was a torque monster and very little smoke..
Now that sounds like a nice truck.:smokin:

Super B turbo, 57/65/12. Spools super fast and is a decent upgrade over stock, you will not make big power on this charger but it will flatout work and it a ton of fun in stop and go. I ran a 63/68/14 and it was a pig in traffic even with 7x10 SAC injectors. I know it sounds small but if your serious about towing and that off the line power the bigger compressors just take longer to spool. Ive ran a couple different turbos and for towing/traffic id take the super b every damn time.

Edge comp box, forget the smarty its a total smoke show on any level that actually gives power, plus it fucks with the throttle percentages not awesome for a daily/tow pig

If you have money left over get a decent quality injector in the 80-120hp range, you can turn the box down and let the injectors do the fueling while towing and then overfuel for fun whenever. My super b took a week with the 150s with the wiretap on 5x5 and man it was a ton of fun from 0-60ish, after that i was way over-fueling it and it was too small to keep up.

As everyone said you need to build that 47re, its not a matter of if its a matter of when it will shit the box. Billet input, triple disk converter, and valvebody should be a minimum.
And that sounds expensive:evil:, what's the overall for that & how much is it going to take to build the trans to hold that?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts