Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a perfectly good power rack out of a '00 Dakota that I'd hate to see go to waste. I know people have put Scout II power boxes in Series trucks, but has anyone done a rack? I think if I build a nice, strong bracket in front of the first x-member to bold it to, it should work well. I know I'll have a little toe change with suspension travel, but not enough to cause a problem. The other option would be to leave the center tie-rod in place and only use half the rack in place of the drag-link. Anybody have any experience?

Thanks

jim

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
There's a reason solid axle trucks come from the factory with the steering gears they do. It's completely impractable to swap rack and pinion into a solid axle truck.

Rack and Pinion steering would be great- if you're going to put IFS under the truck.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's completely impractable to resore an old Rover and bash it through rivers and woods. it's completely impractable to build trucks that climb boulders as big as houses. But that's what we do. :flipoff2:

I agree with you that a long rack-short tie rod rack and pinion would present toe problems with a long suspension travel solid axle, but with the relatively short travel of a Series truck and a long tie rod rack and pinion, I don't think it will be a problem. However, I think I'll draw it off a single point to eliminate the problem all together. Rack and pump are on the way. I'll keep you posted.....

jim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts