Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im going to be making a hydrolic assist for my xj. Im wanting to go ahead and install a good power steering cooler and filter and see how that does.

The more i work my steering offroad the hotter the fluid gets and it starts to foam and it gets air pockets and i lose all steering power. I figure a cooler would help this. I thought id also use a filter so that i can hold a bit more fluid.. and the filtering might help.

I was wondering what everybody recomends for coolers and filters. I have also heard of using a transmision cooler for the steering, they tend to be a bit cheaper and work all the same.

Id appreciate any input.

thanks,

Bratcher

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
Jeremy,

I can't remeber if your XJ is auto or std. If it's an auto, you can use a nice big aftermarket cooler for the automatic tranny, and use the stock in-rad auto tranny cooler for the power steering.

Or you can just get a small tranny cooler for the power steering, it will work fine.

For a filter I would look into one of the small canister type in-line filters for auto trannies. I know they used to be used in auto full size GM vans.

I got one from a tranny shop for $20.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I just picked up a power steering cooler out of an old dodge diplomat police car at a junk yard. Pretty compact, sortofa steel line with fins. Don't have it mounted yet, but it was only five bucks...poke around heavy service vehicals like ambulances, some useful hardware there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts