Pirate 4x4 banner

Power steering gear box?

1086 Views 14 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  rotozuk
I plan on running 38/12.50/15 TSL's and am going to run a coil set up. Anyone give me a list of boxes that would turn the tires easy and has a pitman arm in the front? I know scout boxes do, but they are obviously hard to come by. I also hear the trooper boxes do but I don't know anyone who has tried them. I think the fj60 boxes do but they are hard to come by as well. Any others that people have used? I don't want to run a toy box cause it will hit the coils unless I stick it way the hell out there and I don't want a box sitting out in front of the frame rails. I'm running highsteer on toy axles. thanks
erik
1 - 2 of 15 Posts
Other possible donners worthy of mention either as parts or whole

Ford Ranger (small ones) small/cheezy but pitman faces ahead, mounts to insideof frame rail... I passed over this cause of frame room... and general smallness....

Astro Van, Saginaw box, BUT pitman faces forward, mounts to inside of frame. Pitman had funny bend so other arm would be needed or other work, OR possible swap of internals to other saginaw.

Im using a Mitz Montero box, pitman faces back, bolt on outside of frame with simple 4 hole mounting, very simmiler to TOY IFS, just likly to be more avaliable..... Also look at DOdge D50 mini ram also uses same box etc....

Isuzu
call Matt at 804-353-1553
http://www.independent4x.com

Hes big in to this stuff, i may have somthing for a good price... If i remember right that box bolted on the inside and had a forward pitman and with a 3 bolt mounting... noteable fact, pitman has a good drop and is not a ball joint design like others, ie ream existing hole bigger.... I had this reseved as an optin if i needed more drop/less angle on the drag....

Later -yag
See less See more
the difficult part is actually how to determine this......
My short list came from my walk around my friends junk yard while visiting back home (NY) last summer....

I always carry a pen paper and my digi camera when i roam. That trip was specifiacally source a "usable" box for my application... Which i found... (i have general pics of all apps. i listed above i can post em if needed)

I agree 100% on the sag boxs, cheep easy to rebuild strong plentifuy, pitman options out the wazooo etc...
AND they can be had in different ratios, some performace cars had a constant ratio for better road feel vs the varaible rate on most luxury pass. car types, I dont know the specs off hand but any good GM rod page should list em out by applicaiton....

I'll ask my bro when i talk to him tonight... He up on all the roundy round parts...

-yag
1 - 2 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.