Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am running the agr ps pump from spidertrax with a celica box and small cooler.

The pump was just rebuilt.

So i bled the system and drove around the block a few times the steering was quiet and worked great. On the last test run the pump started to howel. As I pulled into the driveway it got pretty loud. The fluid was at the proper level.

The pump will spray ps fluid out the small hole on the fill cap when the motor is revved and wheels turned.

Secondly the pump got REALLY hot for just driving around in 2wd.

Could the pump provide to much flow for the celica box? Or what else could be the problem??

Thanks, Scott

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
what kind of cooler do you have?
how big is the resivor?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its small two row cooler on radiator, the res is the piggy back style attached to the pump.

maybe the box is plugged? it gets to boiling temperatures way quick. I am gonna see if it heats up that much without even turning the wheel.

-Scott

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I am pretty sure that the pump makes noise when there is air in the system and that's it. I guess the noise is the air bubbles hitting the pump's impeller and then breaking into smaller bubbles. The pump on my mercedes ml430 wouldn't stop making noise and I changed everything in the p/s system, one thing at a time, trying it every time I had changed one part. It turned out that the problem was the reservoir itself. I changed it at a cost of about $30 and it stopped making the noise. It was too bad I'd spent a grand on the other parts by then. :D

My theory is that the lid of my old reservoir was not venting properly so the air was not escaping like it should. I didn't want to mess around trying to see if that was actually it, but it might be worth looking into for you. :D

How did you bleed yours? Could new air be entering the system anywhere?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bled my system with the drag link unhooked cycling the pump back and fourth probably over an hour or so. small amounts of air would bubble in the res when i got close to full steer. I am gonna do it some more. Because the noise got better.

Ill check in to the vent on the cap.

I went through and checked all fittings and hose clamps and didnt find anything loose. there are no leaks, but thats not to say it isnt pulling vacuum some where. How can I tell if air is entering the system somewhere?

-Scott

1 - 5 of 5 Posts