Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am running the agr ps pump from spidertrax with a celica box and small two row cooler.

The pump was just rebuilt.

So i bled the system and drove around the block a few times the steering was quiet and worked great. On the last test run the pump started to howel. As I pulled into the driveway it got pretty loud. The fluid was at the proper level.

The pump will spray ps fluid out the small hole on the fill cap when the motor is revved and wheels turned.

Secondly the pump got REALLY hot for just driving around in 2wd.

just sitting in the driveway without turning the wheel the pump will get hot as well.. and now it will howel when the motor is revved just sitting there. My pump may be fried, which i understand.. But where should I start on fixing this?

Could the pump provide to much flow for the celica box? Or what else could be the problem??

Could my box be plugged up and not cirrculating?

Thanks, Scott

·
Registered
313 Posts
Why don't you post up a few pictures of your set-up, it would help figure out what your problem is.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
and how did you bleed the system? bleeding those are very time consuming and takes a lot of time..

i know on our buggy we had it up on the lift adn spent about 3 hours circulating it trying to bleed it......

so it might not have gotten properly bleed also.. but yah sounds like its trashed already.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I just got thru bleeding for like an hour..got a bunch of air out it is just a few bubbles at a time. Drove it and the noise is way quieter. Its still getting hot but that may be normal for it?? Also, fluid is still coming out the vent hole but not as bad.

Fluid doesnt drop when the rig starts or you cycle the wheel. I am gonna bleed it some more.

i am not sure if the pump is bad because at idle turning the wheel it makes minimal noise if at all now. When the rpms raise is when the noise elevates.

What else should I look for or check?? Do these pumps have a whine to them in general when functioning correctly?

-Scott

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am using ps fluid. The res is attached to the pump. When it first starts and runs it will be quiet. then after 5-10 min of running it starts to make noise. I think im gona go pick up a reman of the same pump at napa, I think the pump might be to much for the celica box. from what I have read on some other threads

-Scott

·
Registered
313 Posts
Scott,

A lot of your problems sound like they could be solved by two simple solutions.
1. First, use synthetic p.s. fluid, this seems to help a lot with the "boil" over you get out of the reservoir. The synthetic fluid also holds up much better to the abuse and heat that is generated when running with full lockers front and rear.
2. Second, find yourself a remote reservoir and a cooler in front of the rad. The addition of the cooler helps add more fluid to the system and also lower the overall temp. of the system. The remote reservoir helps keep the heat of the pump away from the fluid thus, keeping the system running smoother and much quieter. I too also had the puking problem of the pump and switched to a PSC Reservoir similar to the hyper linked text. Let me know if this helps solve your problem, I know this has happened to a couple of my rigs and this was a workable solution.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I switched to a new pump off a 03 tj same as the agr unit just not high pressure. I adjusted my pulley alignment so it is almost dead on. then i bled the unit for like two hours. Drove it for 5-10 minutes in 2x and the noise started again. Fluid puked out the res at proper fill level. Then I let the pump cool, bled it some more and started it again. no noise. i decided to try it in 4x, the wheel would turn fine then would jerk back the opposite direction like there was no power steering. soon as noise started again I shut it off.

it gets hot real quick, the noise wont start until it has been heated up. Could my box be the issue restricting flow? None of the fittings leak fluid. WTF is going on?? yes I am running a cooler and proper fluid.

-Scott

·
Registered
86 Posts
so speaking from experience with a lot less hair from dealing with this issue....GET AN EXTERNAL RESERVOIR......AGAIN EXTERNAL RESERVOIR...the fluid goes through that little cooler you have faster than it gets in. Hence its not cooling a damn thing. Go to PSC's website and order yourself an internal baffled reservoir. Then get yourself to Summit Racing and buy the cooler with the internal fins and AN fittings....If you do not do these things you know what I am sure you will probably end up with the same problems....WHY??? Cause I have been there and tried everything...Sometimes you just cant fix something with junkyard parts......:shaking:

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i got a remote res/changed out the pump and got my 90 deg fittings down to only one. Im running ps fluid system is about 1.5 quarts. There is a two row cooler on the rad.

My feed line from the res to pump has to go up..Is this a cause of my whine? I wheeled it this last weekend..it whines but is not any louder than the motor at high rpm..I can feel the whine through the steering wheel. Is that feed line causing the cavitation?

Scott

Attachments

·
Registered
595 Posts
check for return flow when you're not steering, sounds like it might be blocked, should be circulating freely when not steering.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
it barely whines/ if at at all when there is no load on the system..
-Scott

·
Registered
313 Posts
The reservoir should be the highest point in the system to bleed the air out. If that feed line travels uphill, then you'll never get the air out of the system and it'll always keep the air bubbles trapped IIRC.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the res is higher than the pump..but the pump feed line drops and then goes up as u can see in the pic..could this be causeing my problem?

-Scott

·
Registered
524 Posts
Yup, the feed line needs to go down hill only, and it needs to be as short as possible.

Just so you know that celica gear has the smallest piston in the automotive industry pretty much. You aren't ever going to get much performance out of it.

I know there are guys out there that are making them work, but Im pretty sure there are alot more guys that have no luck with them, I think I've talked to all of them.

LG

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so on the inlet tube into the pump..would it be a bad idea to try and spin it to face the res..is it pressed in or what?

Scott

1 - 20 of 21 Posts