Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already did a search and didnt find what I'm looking for. I put a gm car box on my 40. I want to build a new link to connect the box to the main link or lower link. I like the allpro cross over steering stuff but honestly dont think I have enough lift for it. (3 inches) Has anybody made a link out of DOM that accepts a fj80 tre on one end, and a gm tre on the other. If so what size tubing, part #'s for fj80 tre, and gm tre. I dont know if this can be done. Maybe these two tre's have a seriuos difference in outside diameter. I dont know thats why I'm asking. Any other idea's?
Thanks, Shaun

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
I assume that you are SU?
Items like the AP Hy steer really would not benefit you at all. In fact, I am not sure they could actually be used.

Why not shorten your existing draglink and have it retapped for the GM TRE that your box accepts? Total cost of about $40

·
Old Rock Doc
1,779 Posts
Like Jason, I am not sure why you want hi-steer arms on a SUA. You can certainly get a drag link and tie rod made to fit any combination of metric and SAE TREs. The FJ80 TRE is 23mm (.90") in diameter, so you need DOM tubing 1.25" or larger to use it. For real strength, I like 1.375 o.d. DOM with a .375 wall. The difficult part of making tie rods and drag links like this is having the correct RH and LH taps or being able to cut the threads on a lathe.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im coil sprung up front ( duff eb coils ). I guess Im probably closer to 5 inches of lift. I never actually measured it. I guess what I want to know is if anybody ever cut this link and taped it for the gm tre? I dont have a gm tre yet to see if its even possible. (diameter)
Shaun

·
Registered
10,178 Posts
Also something else to consider it going to the large GM Tie rod end. The car ones are itty bitty and it's a pain in the butt to find the ones that are meant to flex, most cars has the cheasy links up front with an idler arm. And GM skimped out and used POS links.

I think with the coil spring front, high steer is a must have. As well as some diff protection.

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
That changes things a bit.
Re ream the steering arm for the FJ80 TRE and create a link the length you need.
Just about every type of DL has been created at one time or another on this board.

Who did your coil suspension?
They probably have the taps necessary..

If you are that modified I see no reason to do one metric and one GM tre..
Make it consistant.

Pics!!

·
Registered
10,178 Posts
Jason M said:
If you are that modified I see no reason to do one metric and one GM tre..
Make it consistant.
Pics!!
AMEN!! The less different parts you have to worry about the better off you will be. :D

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote: AMEN!! The less different parts you have to worry about the better off you will be.

I'd like to use fj80 tre's on both ends but the pitman arm hole is larger than the fj80. Know anybody that can modify this one?

Quote: The car ones are itty bitty and it's a pain in the butt to find the ones that are meant to flex

I didnt know anything about that. One more reason to go fj80.

Quote: I think with the coil spring front, high steer is a must have. As well as some diff protection.

Not sure If I have enough link to frame clearance to use highsteer. What's a good rule of thumb?

Lastly anybody have the part # for the 80 tre's? So I dont have to buy something else from allpro? Napa would be cool.

Thanks, Shaun

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
fj40mon said:
Quote: AMEN!! The less different parts you have to worry about the better off you will be.

I'd like to use fj80 tre's on both ends but the pitman arm hole is larger than the fj80. Know anybody that can modify this one?

Quote: The car ones are itty bitty and it's a pain in the butt to find the ones that are meant to flex

I didnt know anything about that. One more reason to go fj80.

Quote: I think with the coil spring front, high steer is a must have. As well as some diff protection.

Not sure If I have enough link to frame clearance to use highsteer. What's a good rule of thumb?

Lastly anybody have the part # for the 80 tre's? So I dont have to buy something else from allpro? Napa would be cool.

Thanks, Shaun
Just about any machine shop can weld and reream the pittman to work with the 80 series TRE.
I am sure that OTT can make flat arms. Give them a call and see what they have to say. Plus if you shipped them your pittman they could probably ream it out for you. Just an idea.
How much room do you have between the top of the knuckle and your frame?
Call Napa and find out :)

92 FJ80 :)

If it is a cruiser front axle get a 10" pipe cap for diff protection.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the help guys. I stopped by a local machine shop today and found out they can modify my pitman arm. I assumed that they wouldnt touch it for liability reasons. I'll try OTT and see what they have to say. Thanks Jason for the pipe cap tip. I am running cruiser diffs.
Thanks, Shaun

1 - 10 of 10 Posts