Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you guys can see, i don't have very many posts in this forum. That's only because everything that i've had a question about to date, i've been able to answer by reading the faq or searching. This weekend i came across a new problem, came to the board and searched, and found a bunch of pirate members who had very similar problems but never posted their solutions. All the threads i read through kind of fizzled off. Such as:
http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=698622
http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=560335
http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=490428
MY specific problem is this: my truck feels as if it has no power assist. My stats are: 92 V6 pickup, ifs hub swap with 2inch spacers 3.75 backspaced wheels on 35's. detroit locker up front, sky highsteer. i've run this exact setup minus the ifs hub swap for about 4 years, and the hub swap for 1-2 years without a hiccup. i lost steering this weekend at the hammers:mad3: my pump was leaking from everywhere and whining, so i ran back to town grabbed a new one and put it on. It worked until I got to the beginning of Clawhammer where my steering seized up again.:shaking: Suggestions around camp were that my steering box was probably bad. Luckily i have a spare so I changed it. The one i pulled off my truck was extremely hard to turn lock to lock by hand with it off the truck, where as the new one was nice and easy, so it made sense to me. With everything back together, I still have manual steering both ways. I've pulled the pressure line off at the box and made a nice mess. Then i pulled the return off at the resevoir and made a bigger mess. I even pulled both lines completely off and blew compressed air through them and still nothing. I've run out of things to check and hope that the guys who had similar problems will post up what it took for them to steer again.:beer:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
unfortunately i didn't get the pump from vatozone, i got it from napa. but it should have some kind of warrantee. thanks seabass

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nope. regular power steering fluid. the same i've been using for years. will the atf help at all? is it required?

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
nope. regular power steering fluid. the same i've been using for years. will the atf help at all? is it required?
has to do with the seals/leaking
toyota calls for atf not p/s fluid
if you are not haveing a leak problem in years of use it's fine
when I get my psc p/s in & tg ram I have amsoil hydro tractor fluid:eek: it's holding up for team redbull dustin webster:grinpimp:

·
Registered
582 Posts
I have seen many Toyota pumps go sour using Power steering fluid. The pumps are designed to use ATF (Dexron II, III, or IV) so if you did not use that fluid, and/or did not properly flush the system, that may be your culprit.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks OOPs. Couple of things will be happening tomorrow. I'm pulling the pump off and getting that exchanged if possible. Then I'll be flushing and changing the fluid to ATF. And i will be posting my results to help future members out. Any recommended methods of flushing the system or is brake cleaner and compressed air good enough?

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
Been running power steering fluid in toy stuff for years with zero issues. Toyota also calls for there own coolant in the later models---use standard stuff with no issues.

·
Registered
184 Posts
put a pressure guage inline and see what your actually getting for max pressure, i believe the stock pump is supposed to bypass at around 1100 psi. also, if you replace the pump be sure to bleed it properly before you wheel it.

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
crash, do you think i should still change the pump out? or do you have any other ideas?
I am going to bet you have a bad pump--a fluke...

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I went though 3 bad pumps from vatozone before I found one that worked. Now after a few months this "good" one is leaking from the shaft seal. Thank god for the lifetime warranty!

Get a new pump.

·
Registered
78 Posts
you're using dexron II (or at least dex/merc) fluid in the PS pump and not regular power steering fluid?
I have seen many Toyota pumps go sour using Power steering fluid. The pumps are designed to use ATF (Dexron II, III, or IV) so if you did not use that fluid, and/or did not properly flush the system, that may be your culprit.
ATF is what the FSM says to use.

You need to completely flush the whole system, hydraulics do not like metal particles. The box, the lines, the cooler if you have one and the pump.
Nice to know I wasn't the only one that knows to use ATF in the PS pump...
however....

BTW- heya DC.
Been running power steering fluid in toy stuff for years with zero issues. Toyota also calls for there own coolant in the later models---use standard stuff with no issues.
I'd like some proof. Otherwise you're just spreading your own brand of FUD and not letting others question you. Not unheard of since people bragging and selling don't want to be questioned. But you should know I'm questioning. How many years? How many "hours" during those "years" have you been using it? I bet your flush frequently too.

PS fluid and Dexron II are VERY differnent and if you're selling parts to people that should have DexII and telling them they can use PS fluid, you're lying to your users and violating the trust they put in you. Toyota spec's Dexron II in their pumps and steering boxes so I'm guessing you're hoping they don't drive it much so you don't have to deal with warrantee issues, no?

I am going to bet you have a bad pump--a fluke...
I only see one "fluke" here.... You can call me an "IDOIT" but just 'cause "crash" said it worked... oh wait... nevermind... it will work with PS fluid. My bad and I cave to your bottomless pit of worthless knowledge.... For what it's worth, one could put water, rubbing alcohol and corn oil in the pump and it would work. Would it last? Maybe long enough to escape a warrantee claim. But for regular, every day use... nope.

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,734 Posts
The only time I put regular PS fluid in mine it started leaking two days later.

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
Nice to know I wasn't the only one that knows to use ATF in the PS pump...
however....

BTW- heya DC.

I'd like some proof. Otherwise you're just spreading your own brand of FUD and not letting others question you. Not unheard of since people bragging and selling don't want to be questioned. But you should know I'm questioning. How many years? How many "hours" during those "years" have you been using it? I bet your flush frequently too.

PS fluid and Dexron II are VERY differnent and if you're selling parts to people that should have DexII and telling them they can use PS fluid, you're lying to your users and violating the trust they put in you. Toyota spec's Dexron II in their pumps and steering boxes so I'm guessing you're hoping they don't drive it much so you don't have to deal with warrantee issues, no?

I only see one "fluke" here.... You can call me an "IDOIT" but just 'cause "crash" said it worked... oh wait... nevermind... it will work with PS fluid. My bad and I cave to your bottomless pit of worthless knowledge.... For what it's worth, one could put water, rubbing alcohol and corn oil in the pump and it would work. Would it last? Maybe long enough to escape a warrantee claim. But for regular, every day use... nope.

Its ok to be wrong--Now go run into a brick wall ;)

Where is your proof otherwise? except what you probably have read someplace on the web--since that MUST be true since it was on the web.

And yes I do it in my "customers" rigs and guess what--oh ya I have never had one come back, go figure..

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
The only time I put regular PS fluid in mine it started leaking two days later.
Odd. Well back when I had a lil toy motor. I ran PS fluid from 91' till like, 6 years ago with zero issues. Lets see I have built 7 toyota's and all ran PS fluid with no issues to date. Oh ya, the wifes has had it in there for like 5 years.

If you do some research I bet you will find a company like national (seals) will use the very same material for there lip seals from GM, to toyota, ford and so on. So I will continue to call BS on a leak being caused by Power steering fluid.

·
Registered
758 Posts
My Truck has had PS fluid since I purchased it in 2001. The previous owner a personal freind of min has Ps fluid aswell for IDK how long. The only thing I had leak was a sector shaft seal on my box. I put PS stop leak in the thing and it stopped it. My truck has the stock pump with 213k miles.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Alright, got the new pump from napa, and a gallon of dexII ATF. After installing the pump and flushing about 2 qts of ATF through it, until nothing but ATF came out of the return line, I buttoned everything back up, bled the system and had one finger steering..... until i locked the hubs. WTF? My truck is sitting in a dirt yard, with 25psi in the tires and I have to popeye the steering wheel to move it. I'm glad the welds on the hub for my quick release steering wheel haven't broken yet, but this shit is getting old. Could it be TWO bad pumps? what are the odds?:shaking:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts