Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I am pissed off beyond belief at that POS. :mad: A little backround. 69 cruiser, column out of a wagoneer, 3.25 turn box off waggoneer, dana 44 front with roggy ent cross over steering, new ball joints, tre's.

It won't turn left. Turns right no problem, one fingered opperation to the rigth, and when you turn it back to the left it's a two handed fight just to get back to center wheel, let alone all the way to lock.

Here is what I have done so far. Replaced the steering box, lines and checked it all for binding. Reworked my entire steering column and checked for binding. There is not one place on that entire thing that binds up. If I raise the front end and put it on jackstands, and cycle the steering with the motor running, guess what? turns fine lock to lock.

What's left?? The pump. Would a bad pump cause it to not turn on way? I wouldn't think so, but that's the only thing left, I don't know what else to check.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
well, as far as i know, it's black magic as to what goes on inside a P/S box.

I wouldn't think it's the pump, because it's giving you pressure to turn one way.

when you turn the wheel to the left, there's something in the steering box that's not allowing the pump's pressure to help you.

I'm guessing the pump doesn't make any funny noises when you muscle it back to center? That would support my theory.

·
Registered
7,592 Posts
well, my guess would be something in the geometry of your caster and or steering knuckles. mine had a similar problem going left but it would go with a lil arm in it, or if the rig was moving slightly. i solved the problem by adding a RAM now its effortless either way, he he, jiMMy

·
Team RedNeck
786 Posts
You've got something wrong with the spool valve in the front of your steering box.
If you have the same problem after you replaced the box then you need to make sure that you get all the trash out of the system and then try another box because that one is plugged up on one side.
Are you running Hydro Assist or anything like that?

·
Registered
10,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gggg I am, about ready to throw this whole f-ing thing in the trash. 3rd box and same result. Even after flushing the pump.

Jimmy's idea is an interesting one. hhmmm I will double check my caster

·
Registered
10,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MIKE S said:
I think you will find that its in the drag link geommetry..
can you post pics of it? If you don't get it you can call me at the shop sunday See if I can help:D 885-9944
Mike
You got it. How would the drag link cause this? It's worked before with this setup, but after having it on the trail it started doing this and got progressively worse and worse.

Attachments

·
Team RedNeck
786 Posts
OK i still am willing to bet money that it's the Box. But i case i'm wrong i want you to check one thing for me.
Disconnect the column shaft from the box and use a wrench or something to turn the box while it's still sitting on the ground.
#1 the pump is pumping no matter which way you turn.
#2 your linkages look almost perfect to me. I ran the same setup for years
#3 the only things that could cause that problem are if something in your column shaft binding (which i doubt) or the spool valve is plugged on one side only or the tortion bar is tweeked.

By the way please tell me that you didn't drill into the input shaft to put a setscrew for one of the fancy U-joints!?!?

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
This is interesting....I'm having the same problem.
Was fine for along time, just started to notice that It was really hard to turn left unless I was moving. I thought that the ram might be hitting something but it seems to be ok and nothing looks bents. Don't have it right now...trying to get the 1F to run a little longer before we shitcan it...let me know what was wrong when you figure it out.

Joseph

·
Registered
10,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK I finally broke down and ripped it all out. The u-joint was a little tight on the column, so I replaced that. I pulled the box and turn it by hand. Turned fine. So I sat on the floor and turned it back and forth for about an hour. Getting all the crap out of it, with the air compressor and fresh power steering fluid.

I put it all back in, checking very closely for any binding in any part. Didn't find any. Fired it up and presto, I can turn left. But it was painfully aparent that the pump was week. So I am going to replace that today and it will be all back to normal. WHEW!

So my thinking is, the weak pump combined with the clogged box = crap.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts