Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm looking for info on a good pump that can run two hydrailic rams and will fit on a chevy 350. also need to make a bigger res to hold the fluid. any help or pics would be nice.

·
Registered
738 Posts
pump

Are you using a power beyond valve or a priority valve? If you are using power beyond...a stock GM saginaw type pump will work fine. I like the deisel style as it was already set up for a remote reservior. The reserviors I use are made from 3"aluminum pipe with 4 pipe bungs welded onto them. A 1" for the cap...and 3, 1/2" bungs for both returns and gravity flow to the pump.

If you want to use a priority valve, you need more gpm than the stock pump can put out.

How did the brakes turn out?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you using a power beyond valve or a priority valve? i'm not sure witch one i have it's off a '69 chevy (car) witch one is best for this set up? and what did they come on? i have made a res out of 3" pvc (will hold 3qrt) for now with one 3/4" hose coming out of the res down too the pump witch i have welded a new top on the filler then drilled a 3/4" hole and installed a fitting and that was to keep the fluid up to par. but i'm having problems with starving the pump and when i do get fluid to the pump you need to run the rpm up to around 1700 to get the rams to move :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

oh yes the disc brake brakets worked out bad ass i love them.
thank you :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

·
Registered
738 Posts
The pump you are using should do the job. Some questions

What kind of valve are you using for your rear steer? Some valves let all of the pump volume around the valve when not actuated (power beyond) and some let only a percentage by the valve (priority) A priority valve like this might be say 70% / 30%. So if you cannot run a ram with 30% of your pump's capability, you need a bigger pump. A power beyond valve lets all of the fluid by, thereby giving both systems 100% until one is activated.

You should have two return lines...one from your orbital valve and one from the rear valve. Where do they go?

Is your reservior mounted higher than your pump and how far away is it?

Is the pump you are using new, remanufactured, or used?

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I don't have a 350 but i do have rockwells and have some hydro steering questions. Does anybody know where I can get a stock GM Saginaw pump?? Also, does anybody who makes brackets to bolt the saginaw to my 22re?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
proffitt
i'm using and orbital valve for the front and a lever type valve for the rear (just like your set up) i all so added a splitter valve that puts 50% to the front and 50% to the rear
i do have the res higher then the pump (mounted on the fire wall above the distributor)
the pump is about 6 mounths old. it worked fine when i only had the front ram hooked up.

tturoktoy
you can get the pump from any part store or salvage yard but don't get one for a '69 chevy.as for the braket can you make one?

·
Registered
286 Posts
ok

From Proffitt's Cruisers

I think your problem is the splitter. The pump you are useing can not operate the ram at 50%. You need an outlet for your four way valve with power beyond. Run the pressure from your pump into the 4 way, out the power beyond port, and then into the orbital.

some picts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
green grass hopper said:

tturoktoy
you can get the pump from any part store or salvage yard but don't get one for a '69 chevy.as for the braket can you make one?
I could build one, but would be a lot easier to just buy one from somebody that has it already figured out.

BTW, did you ever find out about those d-shaft flanges/adapters?

·
Registered
738 Posts
I could build one, but would be a lot easier to just buy one from somebody that has it already figured out.
I've made them before. If you want one... I'll build you one, but you can save $ by simply adapting a GM bracket. The problem is that there were tons of different styles and finding the easiest one to start with is a pain.

Do you need the bracket to act as the tensioner or do you want to use the 22R tensioner?

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
proffitt'scruisers said:

I've made them before. If you want one... I'll build you one, but you can save $ by simply adapting a GM bracket. The problem is that there were tons of different styles and finding the easiest one to start with is a pain.

Do you need the bracket to act as the tensioner or do you want to use the 22R tensioner?
I'll use the 22RE tensioner. My toyota pump works fine but I have been told with full hydro steering it will not pump enough and that i would need a cooler, but with the saginaw pump i wouldnt need a cooler and it would pump fine. Do you know if the toy pump will work fine?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
tturoktoy yes I did get the drive shaft adapters and I told the the guy I would give you his number so ya'll can talk about specs.

his name and number: Jody French (512)323-5244

and here is the name of some one else that will make them to

Wade (512) 341-9919

try Jody first he does a real fine job and he's fast. he is a one man shop so I try and help guy like that out as much as possible

Wade works for a big shop and it can take him up to two weeks to make some thing like this.
your call i hope this helps.
p.s. tell them i sent you and they will now what you are talking about. also you will need to let them know that are drive shafts are not the same bolt pattern but the pinon bolt patterns are.i run landcruiser drive shafts and your is a toy pick up.
if you have any ? please give me a call at (512)670-7525
thank' edwin
:) :) :) :) :)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I took the cruiser out this pass Saturday to Mason TX to see if I could get use to the rear steering. it took some time but I think I got it down. talk about turning fast.I was in and out of tight spots like no bodies business I had a disco try to keep up with me and could not do it. the res seems to be working for now. thank's for all ya'lls help on this.
if you would like to see pics of this pass weekend go to http://www.jkcustoms.com and then go to photos then to Mason 1-26-03
:flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.