Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have traced a power steering leak back to the pump.It is leaking from the pully shaft when the unit is under a load.I called toyota for a new pump, they want 349.95: for it (98 taco).:eek:

So i was wondering if any one has used any type of Stop Leak or other additives? If so how did it work? Would i use one designed for an Automatic trans.(power steering uses ATF)? Will this fuck with my ram assist?

Also if i do end up having to replace the pump does any one know the name of the new toyota recyclers in sac. (located near T.A.P.)

Thanks in advance.:)

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
try the lucas additive. it guarantees stop leak in two bottles. it worked ok in my gearbox. didn't stop the leak, but it did slow it down to a manageable level. rebuilding it is still best option. check out rockstomper, he may have a kit or direct you to who does.:D

·
Registered
344 Posts
YOu can buy just he front seal from Toyota,but i would check to see if you have a lot of shaft side play in that front bearing causing the leak. The seal can only stop so much oil from leaking if it has excessive play your hosed.. :) You will ned bearings and maybe more .

I would try a front seal first , you could try a cup of brake fluid added to it first this will cause the seals to swell ,its an old fix from a long time ago before we had transx or the other ps stop leak stuff.IF you have ram assist i would be weiry of trying that though ,you dont know what kinda seals they used and you dont want to make a problem there while fixing another...

Try Auotzone,lifetime guarantee, or the junk yard .

$349 ..ouch!

Thats toyota alright ... they aint cheap ..

Gary

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Hey there,

Have you tried just spitting on it?

Just kidding.

Emailing you about this weekend. Gathering at prarie city on Sat...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts