Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*also in Chevy forum*

what pump would you reccomend running in my YJ with 305 Vortec and GM "76" PS Box?

i'd like to run the OEM one as i have all the OEM brackets and shit

lemme have it

·
Registered
204 Posts
Find a pump without a sensor. Some pumps have speed feedback that vary pressure. You get easier steering at slow speeds and firmer steering at higher speeds. If the sensor isn't hooked up you can get firm steering at all speeds.

If you are using a vortech ecu it might have the wiring for the sensor, depending on the year. The sensor is plugged into the bottom rear of the pump.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Traveller said:
Find a pump without a sensor. Some pumps have speed feedback that vary pressure. You get easier steering at slow speeds and firmer steering at higher speeds. If the sensor isn't hooked up you can get firm steering at all speeds.

If you are using a vortech ecu it might have the wiring for the sensor, depending on the year. The sensor is plugged into the bottom rear of the pump.
here's what i got from a guy on another board, a GM tech:

"GM PS pumps from the late 90's used a variable assist setup that has a little solenoid on the back of the pump. ABS computer would run a PWM signal to this solenoid and use it to restrict pump pressure at highway speeds, giving it better road feel, and full line pressure at low speeds, making it easier to park and such. The advantage to you is that this pump defaults to max line pressure. Couple it with the matching gear, if you want, and it gives a boatload of steering assist.

In any other regard, it works the same as any other Saginaw pump. If you get one with the solenoid on it, just don't plug anything into it, it will run at full pressure."

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.