Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Set Up: D44 with Saginaw Pump (Delphi), 36 sx's, toyota IFS box on an early bronco. Weight is normal for an EB with 8000# winch. The pump squeels whenever under pressure with the tires aired down. If I air down below 6#'s it gets really bad. I want to go to 35 16 15 boggers for the snow and rock, but am thinking the problem will get much worse with that much tire surface on the ground.

It seems that others on the trail are not having the same squeel as me with comperable set ups. It seems I shouldn't have to add an assist even though I know that will resolve the problem. Thoughts suggestions.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have the exact same steering setup with 39.5 IROKS. I really need hydro. Mine doesn't make the infomous ford power steering noise YET. It probably will once the pump gets some more miles on it. The pump is almost brand new. Might try buying a new pump or rebuilding it with the extra flow trix. Do you have an external PS fluid cooler? Might help.

·
Premium Member
1,671 Posts
I run the saginaw ps pump for hydoboost and it works great I have 75 bronco with 78 bronco p/s box and 36 buckshotts i started with stock ford box and pump and 2 pumps locked up went to standard gm pump with all the tricks done and stock box and exploded 2 pump bodies and broke 2 boxes finally went to the hydo boost pump and the 78 bronco box and it steers great now and no noise

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Manteca...I have a cooler mounted to the Rad. That helped big time initially. I don't have an external res though...just the cooler. Its the canned ham style. What are the typical modifiaction you can do to the pump to juice them up?

Bronco75..."For Hydroboost" Not sure what that is. Explain?

·
Premium Member
3,919 Posts
I assume by saying "for Hydroboost", he means that you can get a Saginaw P/S pump that has a hydroboost outlet on it. You block off the hydroboost line and just run it like a standard pump. These pumps put out alot more power then a standard setup....or so I've been told.

Application for mine was an 83 Chevy Diesel w/hydroboost. (Remote reservoir style) I'm sure I can dig up the part no. if someone needs it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
my search isn't working right now but its been covered here on the PBB. You can pull your PS pump apart and make some of the regulator holes bigger for more fluid flow and higher pressure. I read it works wonders for the caned ham style sag pumps.

·
Premium Member
1,671 Posts
the hydo boost pump will fit in any canned ham housing and it is a larger capasity pump I had tried all the mod.s to the regular pump and then started busting the pump housing did this to 3 pumps so I tried the hydo boost pump because I heard it was larger volumn pump it cost me 37$ from my local napa and has been on for almost a year now and still working great even with a leaking pressure hose
the other thing is to run a large cooler I have hd trans cooler on mine fluid used to always look burnt but now always looks new but I had this one before new pump and it just made regular pumps last longer before they broke
the application for my pump was 80 chevy 1ton 350 v8

·
Registered
297 Posts
bronco75 said:
the hydo boost pump will fit in any canned ham housing and it is a larger capasity pump I had tried all the mod.s to the regular pump and then started busting the pump housing did this to 3 pumps so I tried the hydo boost pump because I heard it was larger volumn pump it cost me 37$ from my local napa and has been on for almost a year now and still working great even with a leaking pressure hose
the other thing is to run a large cooler I have hd trans cooler on mine fluid used to always look burnt but now always looks new but I had this one before new pump and it just made regular pumps last longer before they broke
the application for my pump was 80 chevy 1ton 350 v8
you wouldn't happen to have/know the part number would you ?

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Check this link
http://forum.socalbigdawgs.com/viewtopic.php?t=4782

I like that reservoir better then the hydro-boost reservoir which didn't fit in my bracket. The same pump will fit in just about any reservior. You could either get the reservoir when you get the external reservoir from the van at the j/y and then buy a rebuilt hydro-boost pump to put in it. Or just buy them both, do some swapping, and return the unused one.

This is the hydro-boost
Napa #NSP208714
AutoZone #Atsco (ARI) 7052
Saginaw #26019742
Attributes: P/S Pump w/ Reservoir
Line Thread Size: M16 x 1.5
Type of Hose Ports: 2 Tube Fittings
Type of Shaft: Press On, Internal Thread

This is the van
NAPA #NSP207936
AutoZone ATSCO #7092
Attributes: P/S Pump w/ Reservoir
Line Thread Size: M16 x 1.5
Type of Hose Ports: Tube Fitting
Type of Shaft: Press On, Internal Thread

·
Premium Member
8,778 Posts
NOTPRETTY said:
Manteca...I have a cooler mounted to the Rad. That helped big time initially. I don't have an external res though...just the cooler. Its the canned ham style. What are the typical modifiaction you can do to the pump to juice them up?

Bronco75..."For Hydroboost" Not sure what that is. Explain?
On the "canned ham" bodied pumps you can do two modifications that will allow you to 1 finger steer.

1. HIGH PRESSURE BYPASS...basically removing the cartridge assembly and shimming with #4 machine washers the spring so that it will handle a higher pressure before bypassing. You must remove an equal amount from the inner spring pin though. Or else you run the risk of jamming it into full bypass mode and loosing steering...NO FUN.

Be-careful with this mod though. Shim too far and you will blow lines like nobodies business. I have found that 1/16" total shimmage is safe. I also recommend that you do this to a NEW pump...NOT rebuilt. A reman unit and used pumps just can't seem to last more than one or two trips because of the new forces exerted to the internals.

2. MASS FLOW MOD...as stated above. Reaming out the flow holes so that it can move the fluid quicker and with a different pressure.

Combine the two mod's on a NEW pump and you will have a good system. Especially when combined with a larger cooler, and a res.

The only step above this is tapping your box and adding the ram...for hydro assist.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Excellent info. I like to tinker and these mods sound doable. Anyone got a diagram of a canned ham saginaw pump? For the spring and washer deal...is this any canned ham or the hydroboost one? Is is pretty obvious what you are talking about when you open up the pump?

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay...how nutty is this mod. If done like it says...relatively safe? Or a crap shoot?

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
I like the idea of boring out the fitting . Not to keen on the bypass mods for standard steering. I will prolly ream out the fitting and then maybe strech that spring or find some shims to put behind it. That should work great on a normal p/s setup . I am running 36's.

·
Registered
547 Posts
This is a long shot but check to see if the pump is lose in the mounting bracket.
My Sag pump squeeled for a long while w/ my 38's - happened to put my hand on the pump one day and it moved. Bracket mounted to engine was tight but two bolts holding the pump to the bracket had backed out.
Tightened them up and no more noise even when they're aired down.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
My canned ham is squealing too, My box is a J20 Saginaw Model 800, ported for ram ass and my pump is circa 1983, well used. I did the Redneck mods but the pump is working really hard due to it's age and the larger piston in the J20 box. Normal street driving it's quiet as a church mouse but airred down 37s starts to drag the belt. Time for a new pump.
HOS, your explanation of Redneck's mod is quite a bit easier to follow, I had to read his many times, nice job.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts