Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright guys need some ideas for ps on my series III rhd. Is there enough room for a scoutII box between the crossmember and bumpstop? The chrisperfect is to expensive and they wont ship anyway. GM box on the outside maybe? :(

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
i forget what its out of, but i was talking to Matt Hodges of RedNeck Ram fame (West Texas Offroad) and he was telling me of a saginaw PS box that is visually identical to a scout box, but has the mountings reversed. might be something to look into?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ive used Range Rover parts.
Remove the front Xmember and bin the standard relay. Bolt the RR PWS box in its place. Then use the RR colum and linkage.
Mount the pump and fit a new xmember in front.
Job Done.:D

·
Registered
660 Posts
power steering

Call BCB, they'll have some ideas. If anyone's considered power steering for a RHD rig, it'd be Timm. He may have even done it!

Adam, are you thinking of a travelall PS box? Mounts inside the frame rail if memory serves, from my time spent sourcing some scout boxes for myself and a few friends.

Simon

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Re: power steering

Simon said:
Call BCB, they'll have some ideas. If anyone's considered power steering for a RHD rig, it'd be Timm. He may have even done it!

Adam, are you thinking of a travelall PS box? Mounts inside the frame rail if memory serves, from my time spent sourcing some scout noxes for myself and a few friends.

Simon
Scout II/Travelmall - Nope, outside the chassis. Secures with three bolts. Uses standard saginaw parts and a canned ham pump. Best for LHD.

For RHD, look into ford boxes - the 2wd ford box might work. It's kinda like the scout box but reversed...

J-L

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
hey JL i still gotta convert my rover to PS, i remember when you were showing me your truck that there was some special steering column to use that is like really easy to make work?

thanks

·
Registered
12,060 Posts
9V said:
range rover power steering YUCK!

if you hadnt noticed, they leak and have little power:D
Find some pre-NAS RR power-steering...doesn't leak, better assist than my Disco.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
DieLucas! said:

Find some pre-NAS RR power-steering...doesn't leak, better assist than my Disco.
Doesn't leak my ass :flipoff2: It's not rover if it doesn't leak!

Seriously, I think that the scout stuff is stronger. I can turn the 36" michelins in really deep mud or crazy snow with one finger. If it's for wheeling and big tires, might be best to go with the strongest box you can find. Oh, and the rebuild kit is available at billy bobs auto for 15$.

J-L

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Timm has done a RHD PS conversion. Same scout II box mounted on the inside of the right hand frame rail.
Josh W has som pick of the truck in moab. It is in Dennis Bell's pastel green 109.

-Jeff

·
Registered
278 Posts
what about PS boxes from Scout postals? are they any different than LHD versions? Just a thought....

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I know a guy who put on his lighteight... Worked out sweet!!! It was tight inside the frame but it looks as good as mine on the outside of the frame...

·
Registered
158 Posts
I can confirm that pre-NAS Range Rover PS leaks all over the drive....:flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Bodgerover said:
I can confirm that pre-NAS Range Rover PS leaks all over the drive....:flipoff2:
heheheh...

:D

I want more info on this Scout mail truck thing...

I've never seen or heard of these beasts, are the steering boxes available?

I'd LOVE a RHD 88 with P/S ;-)

Maybe if I just turn my current box inside out
:flipoff2:

J-L

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Hey I even have pictures somewhere of Timm actually doing that install on Dennis' truck.

But....I've heard a *rumor* that it might not be Dennis' anymore!

Leafsprung, have you heard anything about that???

:flipoff2:

·
Registered
278 Posts
seems to be quite a few scout postals in Texas (not terribly rare). Most are two wheel drive. I'll ask my roomate about them. He and his brother are scout junkies. I think they have a RHD model back in Big D.

·
Registered
12,060 Posts
Bodgerover said:
I'm serious...mine does not leak! In fact, I think it even scavenges the oil leaking past the front cover :flipoff2:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Scout postal sounds interesting. Though a ford 2wd would work I want to stay away from that as Ive heard they are shite

·
Registered
278 Posts
Just asked the Scout forum and they say it is a mirror of the LHD model except you couldn't get a RHD in P/S. :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
If your PAS box leaks then its shot, my RR PAS box turnes 34 inch Simex with one finger and was easy to fit.
Its been on for two years, submerged in mud most of the time.
I now have a set up that uses all LandRover off the shelf parts.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts