Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just picked up a 72 F100 that came stock without power steering. it has a 360 2v. i need to know what p/s pump and bracket, and what gearbox i need to run? i have a gearbox, pump and pump bracket from my 76 F100 (360 as well) that i can use if need be. what can i use from the 76 for this swap? and will i need all new steering linkage also?

·
Registered
20 Posts
not quiet sure but if you find a 78-79 bronco gear box it will bolt to the outside of the frame and works great and then just use the steering linkage for the same vehicle you get the box out of

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
P/s solution!

Okay, so if you have a 67-72 f100 4x4, powersteering was never an option. However, if you get a box from a 78-79 bronco, and install the top worm gear assembly from a 92ish f150 2wd( i am sure there are more years, thats just what i used), and use your pitman arm, then it will all work with custom frame bracing and custom borgeson shaft between column and box. I converted my 71 this way. You have to mix the two boxes because on the bronco the pitman arm comes off the front? And on the f100 its off the back? I might have that backwards, i did it years ago) This means that left turn turns the wheels right and right turn of the steering wheel turns left. The 92 f150 2wd "top" section that contains the worm gear "twists" the other way, reversing the box for our application. Also, i ended up having to clearance my radiator support when i put it back on as the way i mounted the PS box interefered. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks a lot. this really helps.

so i need:
1) 78-79 bronco gearbox

2) 78-79 bronco steering linkage (or i think it should be the same linkage from 73-79) correct me if im wrong..

3) 92-ish 2wd worm gear (top portion of gearbox)

4) any p/s pump that works with the FE (my 76 one should work with the bracket)

5) stock 72's pitman arm

6) a custom borgeson shaft between column and box- where would i be able to find this or do i need to make a custom one???

im just going over all this because i dont want to make the trip to the junkyard and get the wrong parts and have to deal with returning anything i didnt need..

thanks for the help its greatly appreciated, i want to get this thing goin because im goin on a wheelin trip before xmas and want it to have p/s.. thing sucks to wheel with without it!!

·
Registered
719 Posts
as far as the steering shaft goes, it may take some trial and error ( I dont have the part # anymore) but there is a small pto style coupler shaft and u joint that will fit the stock steering shaft perfect. It is basically like the borgeson shaft except without the bling and cheaper. I get mine at my local spring/u joint shop.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts