Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in the newbie section and got some feedback, but I need more input.

I need peoples' opinions on whether to use manual or power brakes.

My current buggy project will have 40-42" tires and should weigh in at about 3000-3500 lbs. I am using a D60 and 14BFF that I've converted to discs. I am thinking about using CNC brakes and I like the simplicity of manual brakes (as well as the cost). But will manual brakes be enough for this?

Also, what tire size, pedal ratios, and MC piston diameters are you guys using in your manual and power brake applications?

·
Registered
266 Posts
I run a CNC dual MC with a 13" pedal and I am very happy with it. The one I have has one 7\8" piston and one 3\4" piston this works well for me but my buggy is a little lighter and I have Toyota axles with 39.5" tires. For the simplicity of it I wouldn't bother with power brakes, and your braking is the same if the motor is dead or alive.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
you should be fine with manuel brakes alot of buggies run them
i have a single 7/8 wilwood master cyclinder with there single pedal mount and it works great. i have stock fj80 brakes all around and 42" i don't weight much easily under 3000 lbs but im geared super low and it will still stop in double low

·
Registered
56 Posts
i have an s-10 truggie way over 4000# with manual brakes. it seems to work better now with out power brakes.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
We know that manual brakes can and do work fine in a buggy. I all reality, if you have the space for a booster of whatever type, it boils down to your desire for simplicity, and how much leg effort do you want to have to exert?

I really like how easy it is to drive my rig with the full hydro & power brakes.. It's less tiring at the end of the day.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I appreciate the input. I'm probably gonna start with manual brakes. I can always upgrade to power brakes down the road if I feel it is necessary.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
My set-up is just like AZ Crawlers...Works great.

--D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts