Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Vertical Limits
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I do a doubler this winter, I need to put my tranny transfer length on a diet to help my rear shaft angle and to keep the rear of the transfer from hitting my 4 link crossmember. I need to know if any have done this and how. I can get my hands on a glide easy enough, and know of a guy through Bigwoodywag that can make an output shaft for like $300 or so, but I need to know if there is an easier route I am not seeing. Also, I think I roasted my 400 last night wheeling after a rain in the dark, a little tipsy. I might need to move up my schedule. I can make all the adapters myself, but if there is a cost effective solution, I am all ears.
Thanks,
Kelly

·
Vertical Limits
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
don't know much about glides, but read Lance's review of his new bling tranny and a related thread in general. A glide stall is a glide stall? how much, where to get the kit that makes my 350 and 400 stalls fit the glide. I don't know if I want to experiment with stall selection buying one at a time that are powerglide only, no thanks. :laughing:

·
Registered
50 Posts

Did a glide to TH350 version 205 this last winter. Ice dragster. The 203 to glide... looks like a close adapter. I being a female input. Do able but close. Can help you with the adapter if you want. Not sure if all glide's are 27 spline? But the one that I did was same as the Th350's.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,418 Posts
how much for one of those adapters? who made it? you & a lathe? and how long is that adapter? what is total length(tranny bellhousing lip to rear output on the 203)?

EDIT: Sorry for all the ?'s I like it, but want to make sure the adapter doesn't negate from the distance saved by going with the 'glide.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The adapter pic is to a 205 not a 203. That adapter is 4.4". Don't have measurement for bell. The 205 is aprox. 12.5" from the face to Yoke. If the 203 range box was used 5.75" plus the aprox. lenght of adaptor's for mounting the 203, 2.25". Then using a doubler,(TH400 or Ford) its lenght is 2.75". So the lenght from the rear of glide(mounting surface) to the end of a 205, is aprox. 23.25".

·
Vertical Limits
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, that was another question I had. What does the factory output on a glide look like for length outside the case. If they are 27 spline, the range boxes that I have are 27 female. I can make a plate to marry them. It will have to be a custom piece anyway because I am turning the range box upside down and clocking the 205 flat to help my belly get flat. :smokin:
I guess I need to find a glide and start doing some measuring.
Dirtybird: I am assuming that you used the factory 2wd output on the glide/205 combo?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yes I do believe so. The trany that was given to me, trying to remember, looked like the output was cut... They had some sprocket and chain setup on it. Kept blowing the rear output seal... Couldn't see how??? :shaking: I mean with out any support. :laughing: Its output length was 1.65" from the rear of the case. It used a five bolt pattern to mount the adapter to. Did they put them in a 4wd? Just a :grinpimp: but you have a doubler set up? Or need one? :p WWW.jedsmachining.com

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Aren't PG short shafts still 27 spline? If so, you can use a 27 spline input 203. WFO (See sig) custom drills 203's to the std D300 6 bolt pattern. So you could use a short shaft, AA or Cambell adapter, and then slap your custom 203 on there. I think this would be the shortest option.

·
Vertical Limits
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah, that is what I was looking at, sliding my 203 on and making an adapter. My question was how much shaft sticks out of the back of the tranny case. If 1.65" is standard, that will be great. I can make the adapter out of a single piece of plate. Are the mounting holes for the tail housing on those threaded in the case, or tail housing? I need to know which way the bolts go. that will make a big difference. Holy shit this thing is going to be short!!!! :cool2:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Pic doesn't really show it clearly but the trans has threads... as in your adapter will not. So its not going to be a snap. The 203 is threaded also. The way that I thougth of going was to use the 203:TH350 adapter, then use a plate aprox. 1" to bolt to PG with 3/8" tapped holes to mount the factory adapter to. Square bolt pattern. Still will be tight, hince the dia. of the PG bolt circle... to the other bolts required for the 203 to adapter. Good luck bud. Should be a short set up! :cool2:

·
Vertical Limits
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I looked at my friend's glide out of a car tonight, aluminum case. It had like 8 inches of output shaft behind the case and something around 16 or so splines, (didn't take care to count exactly, knew it wasn't 27) Are there several differnt outputs for them, or am I going to have to have a custom shaft made?

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
blacksheep10 said:
I looked at my friend's glide out of a car tonight, aluminum case. It had like 8 inches of output shaft behind the case and something around 16 or so splines, (didn't take care to count exactly, knew it wasn't 27) Are there several differnt outputs for them, or am I going to have to have a custom shaft made?

You need a short shaft kit. This will make the adapter around 2" long. I'm not sure of the spline count though. Check TCI's website. I think they sold them. The short shaft is pretty common.

·
Vertical Limits
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I looked on TCI's website and called them and they said they didn't show a number for one. He said that he thought the factory short shaft was as short as theirs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts